The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first of all I wanna thank all of you who helped me on the last question. Thanks I appreciate it. Now I've been looking at powders. As I said in my last post I'm gunna start loading 9mm & .223 cals. I'm looking all over for powder and I do know that the load books give names of powders. I don't wanna waste my money on powder if its not gunna work good. Can you give me some suggestions for powder choices to use. I see names but all names have 10+ different kinds. So I just wanna head down to the range with good bullets. So can you give me some. And thanks again for the help on the last post.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Where's Alpo when you need him? For the .223, I'd assume that you will be loading for an AR type rifle. As Steve stated, the first thing you need to consider is the bullet - what wieght and what purpose?

If I were looking - say to load for a target/plinker/varment round - I'd think about an FMJ. If it were an older AR, I'd consider a 55 grain FMJ. The newer ones like heavier bullets for the rate of twist. I use H-335 for my purposes, but your needs might be different.

For the 9mm, it all depends on what bullet and wieght you are going to load. If you are after cheaper lead cast bullets for target or plinking, that is one seperate area of loading. If you are going to load jacketed bullets, that is entirely another arena. Personally I use Unique powder for both because of versatility, but many folks think that is a 'dirty' powder.

If there's a bottom line, get a good reloading manual - you'll need io anyway - then decide what your needs are. Whatever you do DON'T take load data off the internet as gospel. What works great in Harry's pistol might just blow yours up. Maybe you with it. Good luck - Jim

·
Super Moderator
28,037 Posts
:yeahthat: Except they claim that they've cleaned up the Unique. Guess they got tired of the nickname "flammable dirt".

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
www.precisiondelta.com for 9mm bullets, either 124's or 115's over Alliant Power Pistol (use YOUR load data for exact charge weights)

Any common 55gr fmj bullet in bulk for the 1/9 AR and H335, Ramshot Tac or several others.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ar i have is a dpsm oracle with 1x9 twist. i was thinking of 55 or 62 bullets and the 9 its a ruger p95 twist i dont know yet. i was thinking since the range is far to make a few of each with different powder weights to see what feels best. just a idea at this thime tho. the 9 weights 147 or 125.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I use IMR 4198 under 55g bullets in my 223 loads and Power Pistol under 147g JHPs in my 9. They work good for me.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
hit your re;oading manuals.. specifically the ones who make your projectiles if you can.. see their sufggested laod data.. including powders..e tc..

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I use IMR 4198 under 55g bullets in my 223 loads and Power Pistol under 147g JHPs in my 9. They work good for me.
Yep what I use.
When the LGS ran out of IMR4198, I use varget.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts