The Firearms Forum banner

Prarie doggin

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ruffitt 
#1 ·
Dave3
(1/15/02 10:26:44 am)
| Edit | Del All Prarie doggin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been put in charge of organizing a prarie dog hunt for myself and several friends. What is the best time of the year/month to go Doggin'? This will be first time any of us have been. Any tips on things to take? There are many places listed in the back of the "Varmint Hunter" so we'll probably pay some of those folks for are first time. Thanks for all your input.

ysacres
V.I.P. Member
(1/15/02 11:44:47 am)
| Edit | Del Re: Prarie doggin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never been dog hunting, But have lots of experience with ground squirrels.

Get a flat bed trailer towed behind a pickup, this is for elevation off the ground. build enough shooting stations on the trailer and pickup for everyone. I like to use straw bales. one to sit on, and two stacked for the rifle rest,(cheep and disposable)

Bring twice as much ammo than you think you'll need.

A good spotting scope to confirm hit's.

Spring is the best time, right after everyone has awaken from hibernation. April, May, June.

RUGER RULES

Edited by: ysacres at: 1/15/02 11:50:56 am

warpig883
(1/15/02 8:32:03 pm)
Spring is best, The young dumb ones will stay out when you start shooting. The rest of the summer is good also.

Where are you going to have your hunt at?
We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Dave3
(1/15/02 9:51:00 pm)
South Dakota, I got a buddy in Rapid City

HondoJohn6508
(1/15/02 11:00:18 pm)
If you think you will need 250 rounds of ammo, might be best if you take a 1,000. You will have a most enjoyable time.

warpig883
(1/16/02 12:00:19 am)
You could not have picked a better state. I live on the other side of SD and do a little praire dog shooting by Long Valley, SD. I would take enough ammo to shoot around 500 rounds a day myself. Like I said spring is best cause they will stay up for you. Unless you are a 1/4 mile away and then they stay up pretty good.

It is always nice to get a virgin town. Get up close and plug away.
We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

cointoss 2
(1/16/02 3:57:19 pm)
Goodluck on the shoot, read somthing about an Indian reservation there in S.D. that allows tresspass for a low fee, sorry that I cannot recall more about it.
cointoss2

warpig883
(1/16/02 8:50:18 pm)
Praire dog shooting is free. The ranchers want to get rid of them. I have never heard of anyone paying. Maybe on the reservations like Cointoss said.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.