Preferred Home Defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TigerLeo, Mar 18, 2016.

1. lcn

lcn Well-Known Member

Md 12 Winchester 20 gauge loaded with #2 lead shot. I can reach it from the bed.

carver likes this.
  2. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I won't be calling 911 right away. I'll leave that for my wife. If somebody gets part the dog, then it's shot to kill because they mean to cause harm.
    I have to disagree to being mobile with a shotgun. If I'm moving through my house, both hands are on the gun. They won't be taking my gun from me very easily, and I won't be letting them close enough to do it. I keep 2 pistols beside the bed, for rapid deployment. Keeping in mind where to shoot is imperative. Houses on either side, but clear front and back.

3. Hovannes

Hovannes Active Member

"It's easier to patch on hold than it is to patch several"---at HD range it will be only one hole. One big honkin' hole and that is if you miss, which isn't likely.
    A dog with big sharp teeth comes to mind. Also, if it's dark, one of those blinding flashlights LEOs are so fond of these days.
    A handgun and/ or shotgun if things get personal. Think about your defensive perimeters and don't shoot at the neighbors!
    I'd suggest stuffing your .44 Mag with .44 Specials for quicker follow up shots and less painful on the ears

4. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

60 lb. Dog, me with a very bright light and a .40 S&W that holds 14 and one in the tube. Wife with the 12 gauge to get the kid.

5. Barheet

Barheet New Member

I decided against shotgun for home defense because I don't have a full size safe. I use an M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Any gun in a safe is not much of a home defense weapon!

ral357 likes this.
  7. Barheet

Barheet New Member

I use a quick combination handgun safe that can be opened in the dark quickly.

Also I have two dogs so I'll have plenty of warning.

8. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Have Ya every Danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? Hands tend to shake and numbers elude.......

9. Barheet

Barheet New Member

No choice. Not taking chances with children in the house.

Broot and ral357 like this.
  10. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Can't fault Your priorities. Practice getting in that thing till It's second nature. Fine motor skills are greatly degraded when it's for real.......

Broot likes this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

....and teach your children about gun safety. If they are too young now, do it as soon as you can!

Barheet and Broot like this.
  12. The_Patriot2016

The_Patriot2016 Well-Known Member

Depends on the safe. I have kids in my house and don't want them to have access to my guns. Yes they're taught to leave them alone and how to handle them, but occasionally kids do get rebellious for one, and 2 you don't know how well their friends are trained with kids. If I didn't have a safe I wouldn't have a loaded gun handy, simple as that.

However there are ways to accomplish both safety and speed. My handgun safe is biometric, takes me a half second to open. And I have a dog for a home alarm, who would wake me with more then enough time to get my gun out.

rglbegl likes this.