1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
It isn't really a "lever action rifle" in the normal use of the phrase. It is a single shot action operated by an underlever. I have seen that Stevens action but unfortunately am unfamiliar with it. Most of the Steven's rifles one sees set up for Schuetzen are on the 44 and 44 1/2 actions. Many of those like yours were chambered for rim-fire cartridges. The rifle itself is set up for shooting Schuetzen matches as is evident from the hooked butt plate. Schuetzen matches were popular in the US from about 1880-1930's but after WWI they went downhill rather quickly because of the anti-German sentiment. After the advent of smokeless powder in the US the 32-40 was easily the most popular Schuetzen cartridge. The Germans used a cartridge quite similar to the 32-40 called the 8.15 X 46R. A chamber cast will give you a facsimile of the cartridge your rifle is chambered for and can be compared to published dimensions to ascertain what it is. Date of manufacture I would guess from about the 1880's up to maybe the 1930's? Value, I'm sorry I don't know. Many Schuetzen type rifles have significant value but I don't recall ever seeing one like yours. Bear in mind that rare and unusual does not always mean desirable and valuable.

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
What Sharps said. I 've also heard these referred to as the Stevens Model 1 or Model 1 tip up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts