The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It is not a standard 1903. It lacks the ladder rear sight and has an additional rear aperture sight. It MAY be a special target model, if so it should have a star on the barrel, but then, it's not the original barrel. You should be able to research the serial # to determine if it is a special target model, it would then be worth somewhat more than what gdmoody said. If it is not, it will be worth somewhat less, because it is not in original configuration.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. It looks to me that a M1903A3 barrel was installed on the M1903's receiver. If memory serves me star gauged barrels were limited to National Match & NRA Sporter 1903s. Some sources state no star gauged barrels were produced after 1939, others say 1941/42, but I think it's a safe bet none were produced in '44. The stock is a Type 12 1st Model semi-pistol grip intended for the M1903 only - it lacks the cuts forward of the receiver for the 03A3's hand guard retaining ring. All that said, I believe what you have is a purpose built (presumably by or for your dad) target rifle - the non-military receiver sight speaks to that. As to value, I can't venture a guess, but you might check the gun auction sites for Springfield M1903s that've been similarly rebuilt as target rifles. Again, sorry for your loss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.