The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting 38 SW Spec and 357 wax bullets. I load them flush with the cartridge. Shooting them them in a SW 357. Loaded with CCI small pistol primers and Federal SPP. The primers back out when fired to jam the cylinder. I would estimate the primers back out 1/16 inch. I can tap on the cylinder and get the carrige open. No powder yet. Looking for an acceptable load down the line, Using my Chrony, FPS is 387 to 400 wth SD. Anyone with experience with wax bullets? Any help? Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You need to drill out the flash holes if you are going to do wax/rubber
bullets with primer power. Take them as big as you can and still leave
a lip for the primer to seat against. MARK THEM so they won't be used
for regular loads--I file 4 notches in the rim.

FWIW, all revolver rounds fired back the primer out a bit, and then the
pressure of firing drives the case back against the recoil face and
re-seats the primer. I've had it happen with bunny fart target loads
in 38 special, upping the powder charge a pinch fixed it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You need to drill out the flash holes if you are going to do wax/rubber
bullets with primer power. Take them as big as you can and still leave
a lip for the primer to seat against. MARK THEM so they won't be used
for regular loads--I file 4 notches in the rim.

FWIW, all revolver rounds fired back the primer out a bit, and then the
pressure of firing drives the case back against the recoil face and
re-seats the primer. I've had it happen with bunny fart target loads
in 38 special, upping the powder charge a pinch fixed it.
friend of mine had this problem with 45 colt with just the primer..no wax. Is it the same case??

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Yes, in a normal case, in firing, the case slams against the recoil shield and reseats the primers. I have some rubber bullets that use the primer only, same thing , I have to drill out the primer hole and I notch the rims so they don't get mised up.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
If you load a primer into an empty brass and fire it, the primer will stay in the half seated position because there is no bullet in the cartridge so therefore no pressure is built back up to cause the case to be forced back which will force the primer to become reseated. I hope I said that right. Dang, it's too early to explain stuff. :D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
When you fire a revolver the primer will pop out of the pocket a bit from pressure. As the powder burns/pressure builds the case is slammed back against the recoil shield, reseating the primer. On loads too light to drive the case back to "reseat" the primers, the cases will show "high" primers. Happened to me way back when...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts