The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i have seen a chart somewhere that shows the "hotness" of primers in order. i cannot seem to remember where. i am trying to get some info together for loading 6.5 grendel and some load data i have found shows using only magnum small rifle primers and some shows the same powders but using standard small rifle primers. thanks to the current state of affairs i have only a couple types of small rifle primers on hand and just want to see whats the best choice for this.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
All I can seem to find is related to wall thickness and cup size. Nothing to do with the charge. Good luck.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill Alexander recommends Mag primers for his 6.5 Grendel. I use Rem 7 1/2 (a Mag Primer) with both ball and extruded powders in my Grendel.

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html
well being as i dont have access to a variety of primers and it appears that its gonna be possibly many months before a surplus comes back, i have settled for those wolf small rifle magnum primers that were available yesterday from wideners. i got in on the deal and ordered 5000 of them. i hope they will substitute for the rem 7 1/2 or the CCI 450. i have access to alot of load data but sometimes subbing one primer for another or one brass for another or even equal weight bullet for another of equal weight is just not recomended.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
well being as i dont have access to a variety of primers and it appears that its gonna be possibly many months before a surplus comes back, i have settled for those wolf small rifle magnum primers that were available yesterday from wideners. i got in on the deal and ordered 5000 of them. i hope they will substitute for the rem 7 1/2 or the CCI 450. i have access to alot of load data but sometimes subbing one primer for another or one brass for another or even equal weight bullet for another of equal weight is just not recomended.
You will be fine. Load data is not a recipe and substitution is perfectly acceptable and safe as long as you start low and work up.

You can never match published load data to the letter. Everything you do and the reloading bench and at the shooting bench is a Substitution as you are not using the same components and lot numbers and you are not using the same firearm or test barrel.

What do you plan on loading (powder/bullet) in your Grendel? I have tested quite a few different bullets and powders in my Grendel.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well at this point all i have is one box of 100 of 123 grain hornady SST and one box of 100 of 123 grain hornady amax. i have 200 new lapua cases. i now will have these wolf primers and all i have in stock for powder is either varget or some 223 cfe. as you can tell all i have ever loaded in rifle is 223. i also have 200 rounds of wolf gold 6.5 grendel 123 grain copper SP. i have heard its terrible crappy ammo that cannot be reloaded and will copper foul any gun. i am afraid to use it. i have 220 rounds of hornady 123 grain amax ordered and should be coming in before i am dead as promised.

the really good part is i have in hand my hornady 2 piece die set, my lee factory crimp die, the needed shell holders for my single stage press that i am going to use for this and from what i understand its hard to get dies at this time.
i really cant get anyone i know here to even not look at me funny for wanting to build a firearm and load ammo for such a strange caliber. they just dont get it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts