The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
That it does. I was hand loading (not in a press) black powder shotgun shells. This was before I’d bought a shell holder and was installing the primers by laying them on a heavy, flat piece of steel, placing the shell atop that and tapping down with a tool I’d made. Sure makes your ears ring when one goes off.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Never personally had the pleasure - hope not to in the future. Even though I use a Hornady progressive - I decap and resize all of my brass and then clean the primer pocket and tumble a second time in a fine polish media. I still use a stand alone RCBS primer station to prime everything. I'll then send the primed brass back through the Hornady to charge and seat the bullet.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The Lee whack a mole loader got me once to !!!!!!
LOL! Yea I was new to reloading and didn't really think about it until it happened!

I believe that was my inspiration to get a press and start loading for 'real' !

The one with the press happened many years later and was really surprising as I never expected it could happen with a press - but obviously can !

·
GUNZILLA
8,957 Posts
Never had one go off accidentally...yet! I did fire them out of my pistol to get a hankering for what it would sound like and possibly stop a cardiac event and bowel movement from happening. Don't really know if it gets louder without the pistol though.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
The Lee whack a mole loader got me once to !!!!!! Knock on would that was a long time ago and was first and only time . I hope at least !!!
Chalk one up for me using the Lee whack-a-mole. Scared the heck out of me.

I had primers detonate once in a Dillon 550 and 1050 along with a RCBS hand priming tool. It happened with CCI and Winchester primers. Aside from being LOUD, it’s a waist of a primer.
Was the RCBS hand primer destroyed?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I really wouldn't expect it with a hand priming tool.

I have thought about it when using my Lee hand primer when I was priming some S & B .357 brass that had extremely tight primer pockets and took a lot of effort to seat the primers but no detonations.
With the RCBS tool it was with a Winchester SR being inserted into a PPU 223 Rem. cartridge. Scared the pooh out of every one in the house. They thought I had discharged a 22LR or 9mm handgun. The good news is I had the cartridge case mouth pointed away from me as the primer was being seated. Since that last one, I now ware ear muffs incase it were to happen again aside from having always waring safety glasses.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Was the RCBS hand primer destroyed?
Nope.

The RCBS version I have is the version with the round primer tray that uses the RCBS cartridge shell holder. The biggest problem I’ve had with that tool is with small pistol and rifle primers when every so often a primer will turn sideways in the trays primer chute. The problem is the result of the primer tray is made to accommodate both small and large primers. I contacted RCBS to get two primer trays of which I modified by grinding off the outer rim from one tray, and cut out the tray portion from the second, and epoxied the rim to the tray to a depth of that of small pistol and rifle primers. It is a difference of .008” between the hight of small pistol and rifle to large rifle primers.

With the RCBS tool when a small primer was turned sideways and not knowing it and trying to seat it, it would partially insert and crush the primer, which never set one off. This required a complete disassembly of the tool to clear the jam. The primer that detonated was with a primer orientated correctly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts