The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
One time I was loading 7.62 LC Match cases. They came from Camp Perry and were 1x. They were given to me in 50cal ammo can. Anyway as I ran one through FL sizing die , boooom. I though it was primer. After changing my shorts I inspected the problem. My decamping pin and sizing button were destroyed, Lyman dies. Somehow a 22Lr ended up inside the 7.62 brass. Never had a primer go off.
I’ve had my share end up seated upside down or some even crushed sideways but never detonated.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Somehow a 22Lr ended up inside the 7.62 brass.
Yikes! This is a first! And a good reminder to always check the inside of any unknown brass!

I was once resizing some .357 brass that was given to me and the press handle stopped solid on one I was sizing.

I backed off and looked inside the case to see a 9mm bullet in the bottom!

Well no 'boom' and just a bent depriming pin but still a good idea to always check!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happened once with Winchester 7 1/2 with Horandy hand primer. Only done about 3K of 223/556. As a precaution, I now tilt the tray forward when I squeeze. Read about other people had the tray go off when this happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When i was a kid me and my brother used to hit them a hammer, just for the bang!
Ha, you reminded me that, when I was a kid, I used to pull the bullets out of 22lrs and crimp the casing and whack them with a hammer. Oddly enough no one ever stopped me. It really wasn't until powder bits got me in the leg that I stopped myself. The smart s#@t was never any fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading about a few aluminum primer tubes explode on people online I switched over to the RCBS hand primer. It is the kind with the square loading tray. I start with 50 or 100 primers in the tray. Then I let one primer fall into place and raise a tiny bit, then tip the rest of the primers to the other side of the tray. Then gently squeeze the handle inserting the primer. Hopefully I never experience a primer detonation This way.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Kids use to line up 22s on the rail road tracks. Also put coins on rails and trains would flatted them like paper. I don’t actually know what it did to 22s. There would be only millisecond from detonation to complete flattening.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had a few primers flip and go sideways w/a Pacific 007 single stage press w/their positive priming system. They get pushed or squashed into the priming pocket. Only had one go off, between now and 1992.
More recently, using a kinetic bullet puller to extract a 64gr SP from a.223 WSSM case, the primer ignited and flew past my right ear. The powder was H4831. I pulled the rest of the bullets w/a single stage press, then got rid of everything including that POS Winchester rifle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kids use to line up 22s on the rail road tracks. Also put coins on rails and trains would flatted them like paper. I don’t actually know what it did to 22s. There would be only millisecond from detonation to complete flattening.
I think it was actually my dad taught me to stick a kitchen match in a spent 22 case and smash it with a hammer, match stick becomes a projectile.

I don't recall any mention of safty glasses back then!? I wish they had taught me about hearing protection!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts