The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to gandermountain to pick up some small pistol primers. they had a couple hundred so i got them. They also had federal match small pistol primers. Are they the same as cci small pistol or are they like magnums?

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I went to gandermountain to pick up some small pistol primers. they had a couple hundred so i got them. They also had federal match small pistol primers. Are they the same as cci small pistol or are they like magnums?
What is the number on the box?
Federal makes Match grade primers and notes them with an "M" after the number. Example, Federal 100M are small pistol primers, not magnum. The Federal 200M is a small pistol Match Magnum primer.

If you have the 100M there are standard primers not Magnum.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont recall any numbers

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were a rust color red so id say 100 match. those are fine to use then right. the cost was $3.25 per 100.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
federal are thinner or so I've heard.

CCI, Win make the thicker ones. For guns with free floating firing pins (like AR's, M1A's, etc) CCI makes a special primer with a thicker shell: #34 for LR and #41 for SR

for pistol, I much prefer winchester, they are usually the cheapest and have not had a misfire that I can recall with them.

I do use match primers for most of my rifle loads, pistol I don't bother. standard or magnum for pistol for me.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
If they are magnum or not, they are not like CCI small pistol. They have a thinner cup and are thus more sensitive.
I read this a lot, I can find data to support this in Rifle primers. I cannot find cup thickness for small or large pistol primers. Got a link that lists cup thickness in pistol primers?

Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that's probably why no one is buying them. Ill save them for a last resort kinda thing.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I also do not know if pistol primers have any big difference in thickness. I'm guessing they're the same or similar to their rifle counterparts?

All primers are just fine for quality, no worries as Steve said. Mostly it's personal preference although I generally don't use magnum primers; I've heard they work better for when it's very cold out. If you test exact loads with different primers, you will most likely not be able to see any real difference in velocity or accuracy, they are fairly consistent. Nothing wrong with any of 'em.

Winchester uses letters (WLR for example), CCI and Federal use numbers, look on the box or flat, it will say what they are.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok then I'll grab me up cuz things are getting a ill scarce here. Thanks ill make sure they say 100 match first. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
primers for certain grab what you need for the short term, but long term we should be good. No need to buy a million like some folks!

I ordered a couple thousand for large rifle and one thousand each of small/large pistol because I was out. Would've bought a little more as I like to shoot much more than that but spent the money on mags and a new upper. reloading stuff is pretty safe for the time being. Just gonna be scarce until we catch up again. A few months and we will see components become stocked again.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I was at my LGS a few weeks ago and picked up their last 4K of Win LP primers. I paid $29/K.

Went there yesterday to pick up some more AA #7 and IMR 7828. They had a new shipment of Win LP primers on the shelf, $36.95/K.

Powder Valley still has Win LP in stock for $26/K. Even with the Hazmat fee that"s a better deal than local for me. No Small pistol to be had anywhere.

Buy em now if you are running low.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah will do plan on taking the kids out shopping. Gunna stop and pick up a 1k. I bought the boy a pistol for Xmas, so he's gunna want to shoot it a lot at first so I'm gunna need them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went back to Gandermountain to get those match primers, and there were only 600 left. Bought them all. They were 100 match small pistol. Getting scarce on a few items here near Chicago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.