The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after a couple years playing around reloading for my hunting rifles, I want to start reloading for my revolvers. So my Hornady book said to use Winchester WLRs or WLRMs. I don't have many of that flavor but literally have 10K of Fed 210s & 215s. Would I be able to substitute the Feds in place of the Winchesters in a 460 mag pistol? I wonder why they always seem to use the Winchester primers in revolvers?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Finally after a couple years playing around reloading for my hunting rifles, I want to start reloading for my revolvers. So my Hornady book said to use Winchester WLRs or WLRMs. I don't have many of that flavor but literally have 10K of Fed 210s & 215s. Would I be able to substitute the Feds in place of the Winchesters in a 460 mag pistol? I wonder why they always seem to use the Winchester primers in revolvers?
probably because that is who they got the best price from,, either primer will work just keep in mind that if you use a different primer work your load up again as diff manufacturers may be hotter ,, even same manufacturer from different lot # can vary ,, so DO NOT start with max load even if that is what u have been using,,, decrease your loading and work up to again,,,BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, our road is closed until May; Sportsmans is 1000 mile round trip and they are the closest place to get reloading supplies. I'm going to try those 215s. I have the new Hornady & Lyman books; they both have the loads for the 460 S&W pistol. I have a back porch T bench and 200 yard range and will chrono as I work it up.

The 460 is really moving, 2200 with a 200 grain pistol bullet; it'll burn a quarter size hole through 3/8 steel, no problem; and really doesn't have the wallop of a 500; my wife has shot it. The gun is a flat shooter, have shot it across the Yukon, or out to an island that is, about 400 yards. It only drops 2 feet or so; one could hit a moose standing on the river bank. We've shot caribou and bear with it from the truck on the road. Actually, I traded a 45/70 & old mossberg 22 & some ammo for the 460. This kid from Tenn, was floating the Yukon about 10 years back in a big flatboat. We have a local 4th July shoot at metal plate 400 yards out to an island in river from the landing strip. I saw this kid hit that 12 inch plate every other shot with that 460 off sand bags; and the kid was almost outta ammo and none available so he made the trade. Now, if I could hit 12 inch plates at 400 yards, ha ha; but I can hit everything at 200 yards which is good enough for me. I'm probably the only one on here that has a 460, now got two of them; but I sure like the pistol. I feel much safer with the 460 than the 44 mags. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.