primers for lilgun

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by lizardtrack, Apr 10, 2009.

1. lizardtrack

lizardtrack New Member

We are using Lilgun in the 44 mag. Do we have to use mag. primers? Both of us have had the primer go off but not ignite the powder. It pushed the bullet barely past the end of the cylinder and had to be driven back out. I've never experienced this with 2400. 2 different guns, 2 different cans of powder, 2 different boxes of primers neither were magnum primers. Is Lilgun harder to ignite than 2400? Thanks

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never heard of a primer not setting off the powder charge, that would really bother me. I think that I would try the magnum primers.

I think that tells me not to buy any Lil' gun. I use either H110 or Unique for my .44 loads and I do use the magnum primers in them.

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

lil gun is a fantastic powder for big bore magnum cartridges. i use it in my .44 with 240 to 300 gr bullets. treat it like WW296 and H110, use mag rimers and HEAVY crimps. I use CCImag primers and out of appx 5000 rounds loaded with lil gun in everthing from the .357 mag to the .480 ruger, i have never had a round not go bang nor hit the target right where i wanted it to.