The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
Truth be told, this would work better if you said where you were. And how many you are are talking about.

Unless you are close by, it's gonna be hard. If you need to ship them to me, then I obviously need to ship mine to you. Gotta find someone with a HazMat license, so I can ship them (probably have to give him something for that favor) and there is the 'round-about 30 dollar fee now for HazMat.

So unless you are in driving distance I would not even consider making a trade.

If I was inclined to ship, while it might be something to think about - spending that 30 bucks - for 20,000 primers, it would not be for 100.

More info is needed to be added to your post.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just seal them in a food saver bag and ship normal. I did it that way for 500. All went well.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
Sure. Just like you can put a pistol in a "one price" box and mail it. Lots cheaper doing the 6 buck post office than using the 70 dollar UPS.

Of course, if you get caught you go to jail, because that's illegal.

So is shipping primers without sending them HazMat.

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
i don't buy ammo online due to the hassle of timed delivery.. but does complete ammo go hazmat as well. or are primers only dangerous when not assembled to brass.?

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Sure. Just like you can put a pistol in a "one price" box and mail it. Lots cheaper doing the 6 buck post office than using the 70 dollar UPS.

Of course, if you get caught you go to jail, because that's illegal.

So is shipping primers without sending them HazMat.
Yep and thousands of people are shipping them regular shipping every day...I guess they arent interested in enforcing that law??

·
Registered
761 Posts
man I know if I did that in NY, I may just as well drive myself to state prison, grab a orange jump suit, and hope my new cell mate isn't named bubba.:eek:
Lol, that's pretty funny. I only did it once, believe me I was worried I kept calling the person to find out if he got the package. Once he did, I was relived. Haven't done it again. But like the post above why do they ship ammo with out hazmat, but primers are hazmat. Kinda sounds senseless if your gunna ship a piece of the bullet hazmat Y not the whole round.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
soundguy, it's just them by themselves.

If you have a box of primers, there is the possibility (small though it is) of one of them being struck in the right manner to explode it. If that were to happen, it would set off the ones next to it, and they the ones by them, in a chain-reaction explosion. Thus - hazardous.

If a primer is loaded into a piece of brass, on the other hand, it is almost impossible to set one off, and even if you did it would just pop THAT ONE. Shipping one hundred primers is more dangerous than shipping 100 piece of primed brass, or even 100 rounds of live ammo.

It's the same with powder. If, somehow, a pound of powder were to ignite, you have a pound of powder going off. But if you were to have 200 rounds, each with a 35 grain powder charge, that is still a pound of powder, but if one of them went off, you'd just have BAP, instead of KABOOM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
But like the post above why do they ship ammo with out hazmat, but primers are hazmat. Kinda sounds senseless if your gunna ship a piece of the bullet hazmat Y not the whole round.
Yea, primers and powder are Haz-Mat, but ammo is not. ORD-M only.
Government regulations, need I say more?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yep and thousands of people are shipping them regular shipping every day...I guess they arent interested in enforcing that law??
get caught, and you will be singing a different tune. dot loves to levy excessive fines. they love making an example out of someone.

You probably wont get caught, but if you do .... you will be wishing you never had.

·
Premium Member
22,049 Posts
Don't do it. I work in the transportation industry and I know they watch for this and you will get busted if they catch you. They have scanners and sensors on their sort lines looking for this. I know as I work on them.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
get caught, and you will be singing a different tune. dot loves to levy excessive fines. they love making an example out of someone.

You probably wont get caught, but if you do .... you will be wishing you never had.
Who are you talking to? I dont ship primers. There are thousands of people that do every day off of auction sites.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.