The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again,
I've loaded my .30-06 cartridges with CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers. I really do not understand what primers to use where and for what caliber, powder. is there a general rule here to follow? Will the CCI 200's work well with a .30-06 cartridge?
Thanks again for any help....

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
I sure hope they will. CCI 200s is all I've ever loaded my 06s with. :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I really do not understand what primers to use where and for what caliber, powder. is there a general rule here to follow?
Yes, quite simply one should not be reloading anything if you have to ask this question. All reloaders follow load data developed from lab tested loads. You must have a reloading manual such as Lymans 49th, Hornady, Speer, Lee etc. which explains the process, and provides powders, primers, pressure and velocity information for your particular load. These are reputable, lab tested sources of information, of which, need to be adhered to for safety sake.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Your manual will tell you. And as a general rule: follow what your manual says. Consider it your rloading 'bible'. Pick a manual, pick several manuals. There will be slight differences in them, but they will all get you to the right place.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I agree with the above answers; use what your manual says. The only substitution would be manufacturers. If the book uses CCI, it's ok to use Winchester, or Federal, etc. When you get a bit of experience you can determine, with some research, if any primers are interchangeable for your cartridge (standard, benchrest, magnum, military spec., etc.)

·
Registered
751 Posts
also if you are loading close to the max,,, if you change primer manufacturers or lot # make sure to reduce your load at least 10% and work it back up as there can be variations in the primers,, better to be safe then sorry !!

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Questions about inter-changeing brands of primers really isn't a bad question. Mnbull is a new reloader. All of us who reload started off asking basic questions.

A simple answer is 'Yes', but if you change brands of primers you will need to start over and develope your loads over. Different brands of primers have different ignition performance, and that means that the internal pressure of your loads will be affected.

Consistancy is the key to accuracy. When I find a combination for a load that gives the performance I'm looking for, I keep everything as consistant as I can. That means powder, primers, bullet wieght/type and charges.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i agree.

I sometimes use the brand of primer called out in a relaod book. however in general.. I just look at if it is a large or small and rifle or pistoal, magnum or standard. and go with what I have.

If I am switching primer brands.. like wolf LRP when I was normally using winchester LRP.. then I will restart to minimums and load back up.

I'd do the same if switching, for some reason, to a magnum primer, where one was not specifically called for.

all that said. winchester are my favs.

following that. cci are (were) the next easiest for me to get ( none are right now ). and from there i use a smattering of federal, wolf, tula and S&B ) can't say that i've used rem very much.. if at all. i'm sure I have a few though.. as of the last few months.. I'd buy whatever I could that was not at 'gouge' prices...
i'll echo the comment to otherwise rely on your relaod manual(s) get many. more=better.

one other thing. many times you cannot match brass cases used in the manual. don't sweat it. the biggest issue will be milspec brass.. and for those. do normal procedure. work your laod up from minimum. I generally avoid max loads on anything.. deffinately wouldn't do it in milsurp brass. might approach it in 1x fired commercial mainstream manufacturer brass.. like winchester or rem 1x firings.. but I've not found max laods to corelate with max accuracy either. I tend to favor somewhere in the middle 50% ie. a load that is below max, above minimum.. and not nevcescarilly in the middle.. sometimes a lil above or below.

pay attnetion to projectile type and more importanly weight as this will effect pressure.

IE.. don't sub a 180gr for a 150gr boolit and use the 150gr data.. find date for your projectile weight. or get it as close as possible. ie.. 147 data of for a 145g boolit. etc.

that's why it is good to own many manuals. if you are using commercial boolits you can lookup their exact data in that manufacturers book.. vs using 'close' data from another.

if using bulk generic or pulled. match as close as you can based on jacket and profile and tip type.. balistic, hp, rn, spire.. etc... base type.. weight..e tc..e tc.. the more books you have the more chance you can match up your boolits exactly or near exact.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did an experiment once with 4 or 5 different brands/types of large rifle primers. Not sure, but might have been CCI 200, CCI BR2, CCI Magnum, Wolf standard and MagTech standard.

Have a rifle that is quite accurate and reloaded 3 rounds with each kind of primer. Brass, powder charge, bullets and etc. were all the same.

Shot at a 100 yd target. Fired the three CCI BR2 loads first. Had a nice cloveleaf group on target. Shot the CCI magnum loads next and it produced a nice cloverleaf group, maybe a little more than an inch higher than the BR2. Each different primer would hit either higher or lower than the CCI BR2. When finished shooting all the loads, I had made around a 1/2-3/4" wide hole that was around 3 inches long on the target.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Questions about inter-changeing brands of primers really isn't a bad question. Mnbull is a new reloader. All of us who reload started off asking basic questions.

A simple answer is 'Yes', but if you change brands of primers you will need to start over and develope your loads over. Different brands of primers have different ignition performance, and that means that the internal pressure of your loads will be affected.

Consistancy is the key to accuracy. When I find a combination for a load that gives the performance I'm looking for, I keep everything as consistant as I can. That means powder, primers, bullet wieght/type and charges.
+1!

·
TFF Chaplain
20,453 Posts
From what I'm reading, I think I would be OK, but I just want a little reassurance.

I reload .357 with 158 gr RNFP heads, and 4.0 gr. Titegroup for my Marlin 1894C. I have used various brands of primer, but they have all been regular spp. Primers are getting scarce; my lgs is having trouble getting more CCI primers in, but he does have a quantity of Federal magnum spp's. Will I be OK using those instead of the regular spp's?

Thanks for any help/advice.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
From what I'm reading, I think I would be OK, but I just want a little reassurance.

I reload .357 with 158 gr RNFP heads, and 4.0 gr. Titegroup for my Marlin 1894C. I have used various brands of primer, but they have all been regular spp. Primers are getting scarce; my lgs is having trouble getting more CCI primers in, but he does have a quantity of Federal magnum spp's. Will I be OK using those instead of the regular spp's?

Thanks for any help/advice.
The magnum primers will work fine. I use magnum primers only in all of my loads, from 222-458 win mag, zero pressure signs at book max. With pistol rounds and magnum primers I stay 1/2gr below book max.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Yes, quite simply one should not be reloading anything if you have to ask this question. All reloaders follow load data developed from lab tested loads. You must have a reloading manual such as Lymans 49th, Hornady, Speer, Lee etc. which explains the process, and provides powders, primers, pressure and velocity information for your particular load. These are reputable, lab tested sources of information, of which, need to be adhered to for safety sake.
yep.. that post kinda scared me. makes me think he has no relaod manuals.

all my manuals spell out at LEAST priemr type and sige, .. some spell out specific brand and part.. . IE. at least LRP.. or CCI 200 etc..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have tried different primers, cci,win,federal,remington and chrono them all in 45acp, no difference. Can't speak to rifle.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,453 Posts
The magnum primers will work fine. I use magnum primers only in all of my loads, from 222-458 win mag, zero pressure signs at book max. With pistol rounds and magnum primers I stay 1/2gr below book max.
Thanks, slayer. I'll pick some up and try them out this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts