The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,can I substitute Winchester primers for cci primers if my book is telling me they used a Winchester primer for the load I’m doing?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Some say to drop powder load when changing components. I never do. I never chase max, most often start low and stop short of max every time so I'm not worried about changing components. However, YMMV, and always start over if switching from standard to Magnum.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Yup, I've never changed load data because of the primer choice. I always use what primers I have to the size they call for. Now; let me say that if I was substituting magnum primers for regular, I would reduce the load.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have always used which ever brand I have on hand, as long as the designation is the same (small rifle, small pistol, large rifle or large pistol) The only time I have stuck to the primer brand is in shotshell reloading.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always used which ever brand I have on hand, as long as the designation is the same (small rifle, small pistol, large rifle or large pistol) The only time I have stuck to the primer brand is in shotshell reloading.
after reading everyone’s responses I went and bought a 1000 of each small rifle and large rifle.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,677 Posts
I sub out primers all the time.
I've used 3 or 4 different brands and just stick with the primer size--small rifle for small rifle cartridges, large rifle for large rifle cartridges, small pistol for small pistol cases.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
I was just looking through my primer stash. If i went by the book, I wouldn't know what to do with the S&B and Wolf primers if I went by the book.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Yes it is,there’s another store in town that wants 100.00 per thousand. I just hung up when they told me that price.
I imagine the store where you bought yours won’t have them in stock very long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts