The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I keep picking up primers in a local shop, high prices yes, but I'll do $54.99 for known US brands. I won't pay a premium for unknown/unproven foreign primer brand. I don't know where Aguila sources their primers....they were Remington's manufacturer in Mexico...but it's the only ammo that I've blown primers right out of the factory ammo - 150gr FMJ .300 AAC Blackout. Really jams up an AR. Still have a full box I'm afraid to shoot.

I'll take S&B or Fiocchi primers all day long, but no fan of TulAmmo (aka Tula) primers, though I know many hand loaders like them. Tried to trade them away last year, but didn't get a bite.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I keep picking up primers in a local shop, high prices yes, but I'll do $54.99 for known US brands. I won't pay a premium for unknown/unproven foreign primer brand. I don't know where Aguila sources their primers....they were Remington's manufacturer in Mexico...but it's the only ammo that I've blown primers right out of the factory ammo - 150gr FMJ .300 AAC Blackout. Really jams up an AR. Still have a full box I'm afraid to shoot.

I'll take S&B or Fiocchi primers all day long, but no fan of TulAmmo (aka Tula) primers, though I know many hand loaders like them. Tried to trade them away last year, but didn't get a bite.
.We were shooting last week and my friends Carcano carbine blew 15 primers in a row before I convinced him not to fire any more...PPU factory ammo,no swiping off brass,no other pressure signs.Told him to have headspace checked.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Plenty of people like Russian primers. I have no issue with that. But I'll still trade 1 for 1 for any other manufacturer. Having said that...my issue is that they seat hard....perhaps they're 0.001" larger than "SAAMI" spec small pockets. I suppose the value to me if I have to keep them is to use them in those cases where the primer pocket is getting a bit loose. Hey...it could happen.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Just as long as they will except a major credit card so if you do get scammed most of the credit card companies will reimburse you. Shy away from using a debit card or crypto currency. I found a website supposedly selling Winchester small pistol primers, but the wanted Bitcoin for payment, and with some research found that the website was out China.

As for U.S. made primers, Winchester, and Federal/CCI are the only ones producing. I read on another gun forum were an individual talking to someone at Federal was told that the Remington brand of ammo (bought out by Federal from Remington’s bankruptcy) was back in production, but was having problems producing primers, so Federal was sending their primers to Remington to produce factory ammo. I may still may be a while for components to find their way to the various retailers. Right now, factory loaded ammo is more important to supply the masses then components. We home ammo loaders are a small percentage in comparison to all the firearms owners here in the U.S.. Last I heard was Federal/CCI had a backlog of one year for orders. I’m not sure about Winchester, but I’m sure they have a similar backlog, and Winchester just released a recall on 9mm Luger ammo. Look at the the thread I posted in this forums “Ammo and Reloading” for info on the Winchester recall.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
There is an American company in Texas selling these now. I'm not worried about buying from them, but I would be a little concerned about their quality. Price point is currently $0.18/ea, qty 2000. The Canadians have plenty of primers, but they can't /won't ship them to the US, which obviously sucks.

So if you didn't have to purchase these internationally, would you??
What is the name of the retailer in Texas ?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
.We were shooting last week and my friends Carcano carbine blew 15 primers in a row before I convinced him not to fire any more...PPU factory ammo,no swiping off brass,no other pressure signs.Told him to have headspace checked.
PPU manufactures quality ammo and components. A good friend bought some pre primed 308 Win. cartridge cases. I check the case necks thickness and I found them to be an average of +/- .0005”, and the average case weight was +/- .7 grain. This is right there with Lapua, Peterson, or Alpha cartridge cases.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
small rifle magnum 6 dollars a box. No powder where I stopped today but scored a box of 150gr 7.7 Jap Graf n Son for 35 dollars.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
PPU manufactures quality ammo and components. A good friend bought some pre primed 308 Win. cartridge cases. I check the case necks thickness and I found them to be an average of +/- .0005”, and the average case weight was +/- .7 grain. This is right there with Lapua, Peterson, or Alpha cartridge cases.
I think it was the headspace,not the ammo.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts