The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I was priming some brass I had problems. Don't know why, that's why I'm asking. When I put the brass .223 shell in the shell holder for the rcbs hand primer the primers were hard to seat. Meaning some were hard others went in crooked and stuck out so much I had to take apart the hand primer to get the shell holder and shell out, then use the press to get them separated. After all that the bottom of the shell was roughed up and couldn't tell if something was wrong with the shell. Shells were all clean some carbon was at the top of the primer socket but pretty much clean. Was it bad primers or what? It happened to about 7-8 shells. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Did you remember to remove the primer crimp from the primer pocket?? Assuming youre using milspec brass..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
All I did was decap all the brass. Have no idea about primer crimp. I've loade about 250 so far and these were the first. What's a primer crimp?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok since my last reply I've looked it up and I see what he and you mean. Ok now I gotta go thru all my brass before I go to the next stage. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
To all you new re-loaders.......
Please read, read, read, read
before you start and you will save
yourself lots of frustration.

Work on only one caliber at a time.
When you choose which one to start with,
research the hell out of it.

I keep seeing the same problems that are simple
to have been avoided, and these same problems
are basics...with tons of info pertaining to them.

Above all, be safe.

Still feel free to ask.....
I personally am always glad to assist where
possible.....but save yourself some aggravation.

Slow down, and read, read, read,.....first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts