Private airbnb range

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Adam Webb, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Adam Webb

Adam Webb New Member

Hi. I just bought a cabin I’m going to Airbnb and I’m going to build a gun range. If you stayed at an airbnb with a range what targets set ups would you want? The furthest range is 300 yards. Thanks!

tedwitt likes this.
  2. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I take that Airbnb is an online travel agency you using, right ?

I’m guessing you have first looked into the environmental laws because of lead contamination, and that include the ground water, not just the dirt. You mite also have have land surveys regarding the surrounding neighboring land for stray bullets, and mite have to build barriers to catch stray bullets. Find out if there any noise ordinances. Liability insurance etc.. The reason I bring this up is I met one of the co owner of long range gun academy with a 1000 yard gun range in Michigans Northern part of the Lower Peninsula. I asked him about what it took to get state approval, and said it took almost two years of land and environmental surveys, and about $500K spent to get approval by the County, State, and Federal for final certification. You mite have to present a business and an inferstructure plan's with the last drawn up by a certified company, and worst of all land and business taxes. What kind if target mite be least of your concerns.

I didn’t bring this up to discourage you as I am always in favor of new shooting ranges, but in some states the amount of hoops one has to jump through mite just make you rethink this. If you already have done all of this, good luck.

As for my options for targets, the sky is the limit. Me I like banging steel. AR 500 or AR 550.

3. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    We had a fellow buy some property and set up a 1000y range and started charging people to come and shoot. OMG the locals got P.O'd the select board got involved and then the state environmental got involved (ACT 250). He was run out of town and sold the property at a loss.
    If he wasn't charging people and being considerate of his neighbors (shooting early Sunday mornings)

Like what PRR said, not trying to discourage you its awesome what your idea is, just be careful and don't get tangle up into some kind of Bull with the state.

I would make that a stop at a place like that.

BlackEagle likes this.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I've airbnb'd my camp a couple times. I would absolutely verify the laws in your state.
    It's legal for ME to shoot on MY property. Property I rent? Who knows? Well, a lawyer in your state probably does.

howlnmad likes this.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Someone tell an old man what the heck is an airbnb? I have heard of Bed and Breakfast, but when the word "air" in front of it does that mean you have to fly to the place?

Alpo and accident like this.
  6. CCHolderinMaine

It's an online app where you can rent out your house/camp/condo privately. Like the UBER of real estate rentals.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Thank you, that makes sense.

CCHolderinMaine likes this.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I think that I would check with an attorney about legalities and responsibilities before going all out.

9. Adam Webb

Adam Webb New Member

Awesome. This is such good info. Now phase two of the question. What would you put up on a private range for friends?

10. CCHolderinMaine

You have 300 yards to work with? That's awesome. A paper target holder at typical closer handgun range. Variety of gongs staggered out to 300 would be sweet IMHO. One of my favorite targets at my home range is the "table". 6' long 2x12 where we set all sorts of "stuff" Past ripe fruits/tomatoes. Anything expired from the kitchen. Anything that makes you go "hmm, what would a bullet do to this?" That can get messy, so you need the right spot.

Winchester94 and Pawpaw40 like this.