Problem with Hornady Lnl ap

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dan Henderson, Mar 16, 2017.

1. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I keep my pawls cleaned and lubed. I also use a tad of grease on the fritction edges of the pawls. As I watched the videos and observed my press in action, I took note and tried to set up some pre-maintenace to head off what I perceived as future problems.

Dan Henderson likes this.
  2. Craig Sayner

Craig Sayner Member

drymag and Dan Henderson like this.

3. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED! My issue was wear in the drive hub key way where the drive pin rides. The drive pin was only sticking out of the drive shaft about .05 thou. I put a small weld slag bb behind the pin and reinstalled the hub. No more slop, indexing beautifully!! Thanks for all the responses!!

drymag, BlackEagle and vassago like this.
  4. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just what I thought, happy reloading :)

5. Crohnos01

Crohnos01 Member

Any chance you can post another video showing your fix in case someone (me) needs a future reference? From what you wrote, I take it that this was not a Hornady fix?

drymag likes this.
  6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson New Member

Well I didn't take any pics or videos of the fix but I just received a new drive hub from Hornady. Since I intend to replace the old hub with the new one, I will go ahead and put a short video together. Maybe others like yourself can benefit.

drymag, Big Mak and BlackEagle like this.
  7. Carrier

Carrier Member

Dan make sure to grease the drive hub where the shaft goes in. I use synthetic grease on my press and it really smoothed things after greasing the drive hub. I also shimmed it .003" and that also helped.

8. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson New Member

Do you mean the hub shoulder where the sub plate rides? The top of the shaft spins with the hub. I checked the clearance between the shell plate and the sub plate, it only has about .003 thou so didn't need any shims.

drymag likes this.
  9. Carrier

Carrier Member

I greased inside the hub where it goes on the drive shaft, the outer part of the hub where it goes inside the subplate and where the subplate sits on the hub. Not talking gobs of grease, I just used my fingers a put a thin film on the outside surfaces of the hub and good bit on the inside where the pin of the shaft fits. Made a difference with mine.

drymag likes this.
  10. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson New Member

Good tips thanks Carrier!

drymag likes this.
  11. Carrier

Carrier Member

Hope you LNL works as well as mine does.

drymag likes this.
  12. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for report back, Carrier. I was sure it was the worn pawls!

So here is the fix/lube video starting at 10 min mark.

BlackEagle and drymag like this.
  13. Carrier

Carrier Member

That's funny Mak. When I took my press apart to shim it I looked at that hub and thought this needs to be lubed with grease. My LNL serial number is 69582 so I think Hornady has made some upgrades to the sub plate and hub as the clearances are much closer than many of the earlier ones. I shimmed it .003" and it made such a difference as well as greasing the hub. It indexes so smooth now.
    As far as the primer system goes it has worked absolutely flawless except for one time where I didn't get the primer tube shoulder all the way in the housing body and it screwed up right away.

drymag and Big Mak like this.
  14. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Reference a clip that looks like #48 but is actually above part # 41. Has anyone ever lubed that clip ? When you look down the inside of the ram #37 that houses the drive shaft #30, it appears the clip rides on the inside of the base of the ram. My glasses won't let me focus very well inside that ram to tell if it is actually touching. Not sure once the screws #35 that snugs the drive hub in place raises the shaft off the lower base. Was thinking if you take a coat hangar and cut a long piece so you can set it on top of that clip and lay against the inside wall of the ram, you can then take some oil and let it ride down the coat hangar to hit that clip. I wouldn't want to spray inside as that spray would be a magnet for dirt. Any thoughts????