The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the RCBS lock out die after reading about it here and some other forums. It worked great when I loaded S&W .40 caliber, but I could not get it to work at all with 9mm.

I'm using 5.9 grains of power pistol powder and that makes the 9mm case pretty full. When I set the die to lock the press on an empty case there is not enough plunger adjustment to allow the case to pass with the correct powder charge. If I set the plunger to pass with the correct powder charge it will also pass an empty case.

I fussed with it over an hour trying to get it set right, but finally gave up. I've used it twice to load .40 caliber and both times it worked just like it should, but I can't make it work with 9mm at all. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or it that is a design problem with the die?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dumb me. I finally found the problem. The plastic foot on the plunger was not pushed all the way on. Once I got it on like it should be the die worked on 9mm like it should. It is still at the extreme end of adjustment, but it does work. I don't believe I could put another 0.1 gr of powder in the case and still use the die.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts