The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my original Project Rifle Dreaming thread we sort of got side tracked into a discussion about my next build. What build? I didn't know I had a next build. But, @Grizzley1 and @TRAP55 seem to think there is another coming soon. The two Dave's are at it again, trying to instigate something. I learned a lot during the first build, still undergoing BTW, and they are trying to push me to another level.

Well, I am falling for it to some degree. I'm at least dreaming about another. If such a build is started, it will be on another rolling block action. Which one has not been determined. One thing for certain is the wood will be high grade fancy, extra fancy or exhibition quality figure. And the metal finish will be something that is eye catching in an antique style. Why build a custom rifle without these two factors being absolutely must have? A custom build is costly, so why skimp on quality.

There are many other things to consider. Do I want to do a straight grip or a pistol grip? What caliber and twist rate? Black powder, smokeless or capable of both? Will it be cut down into a sporting style rifle? What sighting system to use? Will it be a full octagon, half octagon/half round or round barrel? Tapered or un-tapered barrel?

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Actually I was more trying to slow you down a little until you finished this one :) Y'all believe me don't you? But if you're going to dream, you might as well dream up something spectacular. Your last dream is just about to come true.

·
Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
The two Dave's are at it again, trying to instigate something.
I'm deeply offended with that broad accusation. Grizz was instigating, I was just enabling!:p
I'm at least dreaming about another.
And yet another misleading statement, because Grizz and I know, in your head, you've already got this next one half built. My only concern, if it turns out purtier than this current build, you won't ever shoot it, for fear of scratching it!
Now, "if" I was really enabling, I would've mentioned, if you decided on a .32/40, I have duplicate dies, brass, bullet mold, and cast bullets.
"If" I was instigating, I would mention that Tuck's Custom Rolling Block Shop could be a thing in the near future.;):giggle:

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
If I was enabling, I'd be mentioning that I have the tooling to make a .32- 40 barrel blank in whatever twist rate you might want it to be and I could profile it round, octagon, part octagon part round straight or tapered. But there is one caveat, I'm about 6-9 months behind on orders and I don't chamber or cut external threads anymore.
Now if you're thinking octagon to round, straight or tapered, you'll want the transition to be at the end of the fore arm. So you'll need to plan that out ahead of time and either have the barrel profiled to match the fore arm or plan the fore arm to match the barrel profile.

·
Premium Member
TFF Cake Queen and Revolver Packer
7,901 Posts
I don't think they are pushing per say... I think they are dreaming too!

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't build another rifle!!!!!
What? I couldn't hear that!
I don't believe anyone is pushing anything:).
So let's see what we have, 32-40 barrel, a set of dies, I think I heard of someone having molds, And if you can get it to my place, I can chamber it and thread the barrel.
Nah, no-one is pushing anything.😆😆
32-40 and 38-55 are at the top of the list in a sporting action.
Did you notice I didn't mention a 405 Winchester cartridge.:)
You already did. Almost 2 years ago. I remember.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Okay, since we're dreaming, Sporting action color cased by Turnbull, .44-77 Sharps, Hartford collar, tapered octagon to tapered round barrel, pistol grip stock, splinter fore end with poured pewter nose cap. Exhibition grade Circassian walnut.
Wood Rectangle Bedrock Trunk Artifact

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, since we're dreaming, Sporting action color cased by Turnbull, .44-77 Sharps, Hartford collar, tapered octagon to tapered round barrel, pistol grip stock, splinter fore end with poured pewter nose cap. Exhibition grade Circassian walnut. View attachment 279855
That's some crazy wood! Action will have to modified for pistol grip. What is a Hartford collar?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts