The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm helping a buddy ( non gunny) who inherited a Colt Police Positive .32 CTG with patent dates stamp, 1884, 1905, and 1926
It is an incredibly small frame double action revolver. Cylinder is hinged and opens out to the left.
Trying to find the proper modern ammo for this so I can teach him how to shoot it.
In reading what I can find online, it seems there are some variables. I want to make sure not to overload this as my Ruger Single Six .22/ .22 magnum is built about three times heavier.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
Could be one of two.

If it just says "32", or says "32 COLT", it is most likely 32 Long Colt. An obsolete, out of production cartridge. In this case your buddy is hosed. It is almost impossible to find, and if you can it's gonna be two or three bucks a shell.

On t'other hand, if it says "32 POLICE", "32 NEW POLICE", or "32 CNP", that's the 32 S&W Long. Fairly available. Not real cheap - maybe 30 bucks for a box of 50.

The easiest way to tell, if you're not sure from the markings, is to take it to your local gun shop (not Wallyworld or Dicks or Bass Pro - a real gun shop) and ask the clerk (this works better if you get the clerk to do it) to attempt to put a 32 S&W in the chamber.

A 32 Colt is smaller in diameter than a 32 S&W. If the gun is chambered in 32 Colt, a 32 S&W will not go in the hole.

If the shop does not have any 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long, these three cartridges can be used to check for size. NONE OF THESE are the correct cartridge. You should attempt to fire NONE OF THESE in that gun. But all three are the same diameter as the 32 S&W, so if they go in the hole, the S&W cartridge will be the one you want.

These three, to be used for chamber measurement only, are the 32 ACP, the 32 H&R Magnum, and the 327 Federal.

·
Banned
35 Posts
011.JPG
Hi guys,
I'm helping a buddy ( non gunny) who inherited a Colt Police Positive .32 CTG with patent dates stamp, 1884, 1905, and 1926
It is an incredibly small frame double action revolver. Cylinder is hinged and opens out to the left.
Trying to find the proper modern ammo for this so I can teach him how to shoot it.
In reading what I can find online, it seems there are some variables. I want to make sure not to overload this as my Ruger Single Six .22/ .22 magnum is built about three times heavier.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached a picture of my 32 Colt POLICE POSITIVE and the box of ammo I bought and shoot in it. The MAGTECH 32S&WL is 98 gr. LRN. The patent dates on my revolver are older than yours a few years.
AUG 5,1884 - JUNE 5,1900 - JULY4 , 1905
I have had no issues with the ammo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good Morning Trainman:
Good looking Police Positive. I have a similar Colt, a Police Positive Special, it is the same pistol with a slightly longer frame and cylinder. Mine is in 32-20, another old and hard to get size. I have been very satisfied with Magtech ammo in .38 S&W in an old top-break. Your friend is lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be one of two.

If it just says "32", or says "32 COLT", it is most likely 32 Long Colt. An obsolete, out of production cartridge. In this case your buddy is hosed. It is almost impossible to find, and if you can it's gonna be two or three bucks a shell.

On t'other hand, if it says "32 POLICE", "32 NEW POLICE", or "32 CNP", that's the 32 S&W Long. Fairly available. Not real cheap - maybe 30 bucks for a box of 50.

The easiest way to tell, if you're not sure from the markings, is to take it to your local gun shop (not Wallyworld or Dicks or Bass Pro - a real gun shop) and ask the clerk (this works better if you get the clerk to do it) to attempt to put a 32 S&W in the chamber.

A 32 Colt is smaller in diameter than a 32 S&W. If the gun is chambered in 32 Colt, a 32 S&W will not go in the hole.

If the shop does not have any 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long, these three cartridges can be used to check for size. NONE OF THESE are the correct cartridge. You should attempt to fire NONE OF THESE in that gun. But all three are the same diameter as the 32 S&W, so if they go in the hole, the S&W cartridge will be the one you want.

These three, to be used for chamber measurement only, are the 32 ACP, the 32 H&R Magnum, and the 327 Federal.
Thanks Alpo! I appreciate your suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 103974

I have attached a picture of my 32 Colt POLICE POSITIVE and the box of ammo I bought and shoot in it. The MAGTECH 32S&WL is 98 gr. LRN. The patent dates on my revolver are older than yours a few years.
AUG 5,1884 - JUNE 5,1900 - JULY4 , 1905
I have had no issues with the ammo.
Hi Trainman,
That looks to be the gun exactly, only difference is this one has the original black Colt grips. I will buy a box of the MAGTECH ammo and give it a shot. (Pun intended)
This is a really clean ( never shot) revolver, and I'm looking forward to running some rounds through it and getting my buddy off to a good start.
My reward is picking up for myself, the Savage 1907 .32 auto pistol that was also his late father in laws.
What a piece of history. And ammo was easy to source for it.
Thanks again, just the response I was hoping for !
Steve

·
Banned
35 Posts
Hi Trainman,
That looks to be the gun exactly, only difference is this one has the original black Colt grips. I will buy a box of the MAGTECH ammo and give it a shot. (Pun intended)
This is a really clean ( never shot) revolver, and I'm looking forward to running some rounds through it and getting my buddy off to a good start.
My reward is picking up for myself, the Savage 1907 .32 auto pistol that was also his late father in laws.
What a piece of history. And ammo was easy to source for it.
Thanks again, just the response I was hoping for !
Steve
Hello Steve,
Good luck with the never fired 32 Colt.
That is a hard to find piece of history in an unfired state.
A friend of mine found the ivory grips at a gun show and bought them for me.
I have the original Colt black grips for mine, but like most that you see they have a corner chipped off.
It's a design flaw.
Are yours also chipped on the bottom corner??
The name here is Greg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Steve,
Good luck with the never fired 32 Colt.
That is a hard to find piece of history in an unfired state.
A friend of mine found the ivory grips at a gun show and bought them for me.
I have the original Colt black grips for mine, but like most that you see they have a corner chipped off.
It's a design flaw.
Are yours also chipped on the bottom corner??
The name here is Greg.
Hi Greg,
This revolver is perfect except a tiny bit of fine pitting on the base of the back strap.
image.jpeg

·
Banned
35 Posts
Hi Greg,
This revolver is perfect except a tiny bit of fine pitting on the base of the back strap. View attachment 104047
Steve,
The revolver I have is not exactly the same as yours.
If you look at the picture of mine you will see the frame is completely flat behind the trigger guard, where as yours has an offset .
I think yours is a "heavy frame" .

Beautiful piece though!
Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Steve,
The revolver I have is not exactly the same as yours.
If you look at the picture of mine you will see the frame is completely flat behind the trigger guard, where as yours has an offset .
I think yours is a "heavy frame" .

Beautiful piece though!
Greg
Hi Greg,
Thank you ! It is a pretty little gun. I'm amazed that the blueing is still so nice after all of these years. I'm guessing dresser drawer storage kept it dry, and never taking it out of the holster kept it pretty !
This does have a slight curve behind the guard.
Also, your cylinder release is rounded and this has a flat release with a flattened 90 degree tang coming off as you can see in the new pics.
Have to say, I never thought I would run across another guy who built his own railroad from scratch.
I worked with a great guy back in the 1980's who was from Moses Lake, WA
He and his dad built their own railroad as well, all the tracks, cars, and engine from scratch in his dads' machine shop at home. They had some acreage and I guess it was pretty nice.
Large enough to ride on. But I don't know what the scale was.

I'm sure you also derived a great deal of pleasure from it.
My hat's off to you for your craftsmanship.
I can tie a decent fly, and do some low level carpentry, but I have great respect for a true craftsman.
Thanks again for your help. I let you know how those shells worked.
Steve

·
Banned
35 Posts
buggy restore 002.JPG
Case 300 repaint 006.JPG
View attachment 104141 View attachment 104140 View attachment 104141 View attachment 104142 View attachment 104140 View attachment 104140
Hi Greg,
Thank you ! It is a pretty little gun. I'm amazed that the blueing is still so nice after all of these years. I'm guessing dresser drawer storage kept it dry, and never taking it out of the holster kept it pretty !
This does have a slight curve behind the guard.
Also, your cylinder release is rounded and this has a flat release with a flattened 90 degree tang coming off as you can see in the new pics.
Have to say, I never thought I would run across another guy who built his own railroad from scratch.
I worked with a great guy back in the 1980's who was from Moses Lake, WA
He and his dad built their own railroad as well, all the tracks, cars, and engine from scratch in his dads' machine shop at home. They had some acreage and I guess it was pretty nice.
Large enough to ride on. But I don't know what the scale was.

I'm sure you also derived a great deal of pleasure from it.
My hat's off to you for your craftsmanship.
I can tie a decent fly, and do some low level carpentry, but I have great respect for a true craftsman.
Thanks again for your help. I let you know how those shells worked.
Steve
Steve,
I guess the Lord blessed me.
I have a "NEED" to build in my nature.
I designed and built the locomotive .
I machined a four cavity injection mold to make plastic ties for the track. Tried to get a patent on it.
I designed and hand built my 2250 square foot home (twice) It burned in 1994.
I am the architect and GM for my son John's new restaurant in Brookville.
It's an "OLD" (Circa 1870's) 4200 square foot building that we are renovating/converting from offices to a restaurant.
If you have seen Tom Hanks in "THE MONEY PIT" you know what we are into.
I also restore things. I bought a Doctors Carriage when I was 18 and completely restored it last year.
It was built by Lincoln Carriage around 1905.
The year before that I tore apart and sand blasted my 1957 Case "300" tractor,
I 'll attach some photos.
Anyway , good luck with the revolver.
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts