The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A home should be so well defended that it would be nearly impossible for anyone to enter uninvited. This should be your first and virtually last line of defense.

Outside doors that are kick proof for all practical purposes.

Use bump proof locks on your outer doors. Steel or solid wood doors. Reinforced door jamb. Metal door frame.

a wood post wedged between the bottom of your door and enormous bolts that have been fitted to screw into the concrete.

Dogs (if you don't mind them)

Alarm system with all windows and doors monitored, including being monitored for glass breakage.

Outdoor sensors that alert you when someone is outside on your property.

Burglar bars that are inside the windows instead of outside them.

Storm doors or burglar bar doors.

You do all that and there is very little chance anyone will try to come inside uninvited.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
So, what's your point? Will you say next that when all that's done we can turn in our firearms because we'll be safe inside our prisons, er, homes?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
PS. Welcome to TFF. Sorry if I sound assuming, presumptive or just like a jerk. But these are trying times we are living in and your post seems unfinished.

·
Registered
840 Posts
A home should be so well defended that it would be nearly impossible for anyone to enter uninvited. This should be your first and virtually last line of defense.

Outside doors that are kick proof for all practical purposes.

Use bump proof locks on your outer doors. Steel or solid wood doors. Reinforced door jamb. Metal door frame.

a wood post wedged between the bottom of your door and enormous bolts that have been fitted to screw into the concrete.

Dogs (if you don't mind them)

Alarm system with all windows and doors monitored, including being monitored for glass breakage.

Outdoor sensors that alert you when someone is outside on your property.

Burglar bars that are inside the windows inside of outside them.

Storm doors or burglar bar doors.

You do all that and there is very little chance anyone will try to come inside uninvited.
This is all well and good but there are a couple of problems.

1st- You are talking anywhere from $10K to $25K++ to accomplish all this. I don't have that kind of money available to retrofit my older home.

2nd- It does not address home owner being attacked while trying to enter through all this security or someone waiting for you to come out. Alarms do nothing but notify. They don't defend you.

3rd- Why should I have to build a darned fortification to protect me and mine. If I have to live as a prisoner in my own home then it's not worth it.

The next thing I expect to hear from you is that if I do all this then I won't really need my guns???:eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
I'll pass, prison isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I agree with above responses. I'm not living in a prison and no matter how airtight you think it is, someone can easily get around it while you're entering or exiting, or when you're hanging out outside.

Early warning is your best friend, gives you the time to arm yourself and be prepared to shoot. Dogs and electronics not to mention other deterrents.

Spend that money on cameras, alarm system, dogs and firearms!

·
Registered
741 Posts
after 35 years of construction and remodeling, trust me, if I want in, I'm getting in. but like tex said, all that does nothing if your outside. so a pistol on my hip, and a shotgun in the closet.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
On the news one night was the story of a family that turned their house into a fortress, 10 foot high fence, cameras, security system, the whole nine yards. It was nearly impossible to get in, that was the problem. A fire started, the fire department showed up and couldn't get in and 4 members of the family burned inside their fortress/prison.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Seems awful strange for someone to take the time to join here and not respond to your posts.What happen to him?Maybe hes locked in his bathroom and cant get to his computer.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Good loyal protective dogs are the best defense! ALONG with a good firearm!!! IF no dog, it does not matter if you have a gun at your bedside. You may be in a deep sleep when the intruder breaks in! A dog will alert and give you time to wake up and arm yourself.

I sleep with two pit bulls, a wife with a Kahr 9mm on her nightstand, and my Sig 220 with night sights and Surefire X300!!

Also important to post your property with sign stating NO TRESSPASSING, VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED, KEEP OUT. That way the intruder is forewarned before taking a hit to the chest or the head!!!!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
The one thing I agree with on the original post is "have a good alarm system". If someone breaks in, I don't want to be asleep while he goes through my house".

Other than that, it did appear like the original post was against guns and trying to make a point that firearms are not needed.

So I guees his point was, lets double the cost of building a house by each of us building a prison instead of a house and take away all our firearms. Once this is accomplished, no one will be building new houses since it would not be affordable, but they won't be giving the firearms back. Sounds like a good Liberal plan.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy my firearms, so this isn't an anti gun post.

I thought with all the hypervigilante gun tooting posts on here, people on here would like this. There are people on here talking about carrying a primary, backup, knife, body armour etc.....

Posting about the end of civilization. Stocking up on seeds and goods. Strobe lights in their living rooms.

I think my post fits right in here

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is all well and good but there are a couple of problems.

1st- You are talking anywhere from $10K to $25K++ to accomplish all this. I don't have that kind of money available to retrofit my older home.

2nd- It does not address home owner being attacked while trying to enter through all this security or someone waiting for you to come out. Alarms do nothing but notify. They don't defend you.

3rd- Why should I have to build a darned fortification to protect me and mine. If I have to live as a prisoner in my own home then it's not worth it.

The next thing I expect to hear from you is that if I do all this then I won't really need my guns???:eek:
It doesn't take 10-25k to accomplish all of this. I did most of it myself. Also, you don't have to do all of it, these are just suggestions.

When I exit my property I already know where the blind spots are, thats what my revolver is for.

I don't live as a prisoner in my own home.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The point to all this to get an early warning system, so that it decreases the chances of someone sneaking up on you in your own home.

A firearm isn't going to help you if someone sneaks up on you before you can get to your gun.

There are hidden and there are easily visible security measures. Each person has their own opinion on which ones or what combinations of each they want to use.

If you're the type of person that wants to rid society of scum, you can have motion sensors and other types of sensors in your yard and home, that only alert you. The criminal never hears the alert. In this situation you have the jump on the criminal and if he enters your home he is dead by shotgun or whatever firearm you like.

Luckly the way my home is built all I do is place a board under my door that wedges between the stairs and the bottom of the door. It would take someone a long time to break that in.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take as you may. I suggest at the very least to get bump proof locks. Someone could walk up to your door while you are sleeping, open your door walk into your room and knock you out while your sleeping with the butt of their gun or whatever.

They can walk in your door just as fast as you can with your own key.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
but they likely won't be walking out.

my 90lb pissed off dog will start munching them while I throw lead down the hall.

as with anything, you can build stronger locks, bar the windows, etc etc, someone will always find a way in. It's having early warning and a firearm that is most effective. If you have solid core doors and deadbolts, those avenues are covered but windows can be smashed in quietly if you know what you're doing. Nothing is 100% effective in all scenarios, layer the security but most important is to have the last trump card, the gun.

there were a bunch of home break in's years ago when I lived in NC where thieves were using battery powered saws to chop a small hole through your floor from underneath the crawlspace, letting themselves in; steal what they want and walk out the front door.

many homes are easily entered by simply going through the walls; the windows and doorways are built up stronger to support them but the walls are usually just 2x4 studs spaced 12" apart or so with not much on either side!

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but they likely won't be walking out.

my 90lb pissed off dog will start munching them while I throw lead down the hall.

as with anything, you can build stronger locks, bar the windows, etc etc, someone will always find a way in. It's having early warning and a firearm that is most effective. If you have solid core doors and deadbolts, those avenues are covered but windows can be smashed in quietly if you know what you're doing. Nothing is 100% effective in all scenarios, layer the security but most important is to have the last trump card, the gun.

there were a bunch of home break in's years ago when I lived in NC where thieves were using battery powered saws to chop a small hole through your floor from underneath the crawlspace, letting themselves in; steal what they want and walk out the front door.

many homes are easily entered by simply going through the walls; the windows and doorways are built up stronger to support them but the walls are usually just 2x4 studs spaced 12" apart or so with not much on either side!
I know that criminals sometimes find creative ways to enter a home, but that doesn't mean its impossible to turn the tables and fool criminals.

Big dogs are good. Criminals have poisoned them to gain entry into homes.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Alarm system - dogs.
Outdoor sensor - dogs.
Burglar bars - don't need them -BIG DOGS that don't care much for strangers. We had one break in attempt years ago, the police had no trouble following the trail of blood to the "victim" as he described himself.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alarm system - dogs.
Outdoor sensor - dogs.
Burglar bars - don't need them -BIG DOGS that don't care much for strangers. We had one break in attempt years ago, the police had no trouble following the trail of blood to the "victim" as he described himself.
If your dogs every get poisoned, you know what coming next, a criminal in your house. I've seen it happen, be prepared.

·
Banned
25 Posts
I live on 5 acres at the end of a private road. I have good guard dogs. My place is my compound and is fotified. I love being at home. I do not live in denial knowing there are ruthless criminals that may try to take what I own or harm those that I love. I agree a home should have good security measures to protect you loved ones. Too many people live in denial and come home to find they have been burglarized and thier guns and valuables are missing because they did not have a good gun safe. Anyone who says they would not take the extra measures to insure security are living in denial. Spend one night out in a metroplitan area on a police or sheriff ride along. you will change your mind about everything!

Everyone should also be PREPared for natural disaster or civil unrest! Look at Katrina, Rodney King Riots, Occupy Protest Riots. The victims of these incidents could do mostly nothing to protect themselves or survive without the GOVERNMENT coming to thier aid. They all lived in DENIAL! Denial is what is destroying our country! You should keep dry goods, extra water, survival equipment, medical supplies,non perishable foods, firearms, ammunition, fuel, and be prepared to care for yourself and your loved ones without depending on your buddy Obama or any other faction of government!!!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts