PSA Adjustable Gas Block warning

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by LDBennett, Jun 4, 2020.

1. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of th bleed-off concept either.

My brother built a 350 Legend and had short stroking problems. I drilled his port and stole the block off my 6.8 to get him going. Mine was made by Superlative but sold by someone else, I just can't remember the name. He paid me what I had into it and went on his merry way. Today I found an Anderson adjustable in stock locally for $50 and couldn't pass it up. About half the price of the one I had. Next weekend I'll set it and report back

2. zant

zant Well-Known Member

If you're blocking off half your gas in a 6.5C to make it run properly-that's piss-poor quality control on the barrel.
    Also-take off rail-carefully drill 1/4"hole to allow access to gas adjustment(if adjustment screw is on side)

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

An AR is more than a barrel. PSA included an adjustable gas block. The barrel gas hole was sized to allow the adjustable gas block to have a range of adjustment. All would have been fine IF the gas block did not have the problem I highlighted in the initial posting. They recommended an adjustment that blocked about half the gas hole and that actually worked fine giving reliable operation with "normal" loads. That would have been sufficient if the locking screw on the PSA gas block had been drilled and tapped to actually lock the adjustment (it was not). So I went with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block instead. I liked the design and the positive reviews on the internet.

The adjustment is on the front of the Superlative Arms gas block. My M-Loc front guard is of a length that the gas block is recessed inside about two inches making it hard for me to see (serious eye problem... Macular Degeneration). I had to separate the upper to reload the mag anyway (thank you CA) so removing the upper and spinning it around to see into the front hand guard was my solution. But I would have been better served by just removing the front hand guard (easy to do....just didn't think of it at the time) and only replacing it after the adjustment were complete. So, the problem was not access to the screw but my poor eyes seeing into the end of the front handguard (My problem, not the gun's).

As to quality control, the PSA is a bargain gun. As I wanted just the experience of this AR, spending much more for a higher quality version was not in the cards. Considering the cost, the gun is actually excellent. There were a few issues when I built it but mostly just a couple wrong parts supplied by PSA. They got the right parts for me, the gun shoots well, but needs more trips to the range for more fun. Do understand that this is only one of many of my guns that I shoot (I don't collect but am a shooter of over 30 different cartridges and reload them all myself). I am thoroughly happy with the quality PSA offers and have several of their products.

Thank you for the comments, anyway.

LDBennett