Psychologists opinion on armed officer in school

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KING64, Apr 21, 2009.

1. KING64

KING64 New Member

Here's another one for you. Dr. Neal Starkman, who holds a Ph.D in social psychology, has suggested that police officers assigned to public school duties should be UNARMED. He is of the opinion that guns do not belong in school therefor police officers assigned to the school should not be armed. His idea seems to suggest that he believes guns cause death. I wonder if he thinks automobiles cause death on the highway therefor there should be no autos on the road?

If an armed wacko, student or non-student, enters a school armed and with the intent to shoot or kill who do you think will be his first target? The authority figure that stands in the way of him carrying out his mission. An unarmed police officer may just as well hide under a desk as the others confronted with an armed threat.

Personally, I would not accept such an assignment, even in a school setting. I guess Dr. Starkman is the embodiment of anti-gunners. Safety and security be damned....no guns, seems to be his solution.

2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I guess in this case PhD stands for "Pretty Huge Dumba**":p

3. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Unarmed cop? Why? Sounds like a freefire zone to me.

4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

400 waiting victim's, just come on down bad guys...:mad:

5. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

He is the one going around the bathrooms inspecting the toilets for Tarry stools.:eek::D

6. KING64

KING64 New Member

I read of this guy's opinion in a Seattle paper. The column was online and allowed comments, soooo.....I commented. I was very polite in pointing out the error in his way of thinking. I was not rude nor unprofessional in my response. A couple days later he responded and referred to those who disagreed with him (nearly 100% of respondents by the way) as having "stupid" opinions. Very professional PhD, don't you think?

7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Phd...? Piled higher and deeper?

8. topper

topper New Member

i have an idea. let the psychologists guard the schools......unarmed of course. then we will see who does better, the psy or the armed cop.

Keep both barrels loaded!

9. 358 winchester

358 winchester New Member

maybe picken up is right

Attached Files:

10. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

I'm kind of surprised this isn't more common knowledge...it's not that new.
    Even our local public library (who was having some gang related trouble) hired a security detail for certain hours after school...and told them they would prefer them to be unarmed because (and I quote because I was there) "Guns and kids don't mix".
    :rolleyes:

11. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

topper has it right. Use unarmed psychologists to protect our schools. Lets send several regiments of unarmed lawyers to fight in Afganistan. We would have to reinstate the draft to get them.

12. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

Makes sense to me.
    :rolleyes:

The officer could act as a distraction by being a moving target while all the hundreds of students make their escape unnoticed!
    :eek:

Hey Doc, your proctologist called............................

they found your head!
    :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

An concealed ankle holster is always an option. That way everybody could hold hands and sing "kumbiya" without anybody shedding a tear.

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D

15. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I have to say that I agree with him, though for different reasons. Where I live, they have deputies assigned to schools as "school resource officers". This is regarded as a cushy assignment by most of the deputies I've talked to, who regard the people who get that job as political flunkies who are too dumb to do traffic enforcement, and are simply waiting to retire. No opinion on that, myself, as I don't have enough personal experience with the system.

However, it is my experience that most cops aren't interested in guns or in doing the practice necessary to get good at using them, and published statistics indicate that over eighty per-cent of the cops' bullets shot in emergency situations do not hit their intended targets.

So I regard the "school resource officer" as a threat to the safety and well being of the kids, because in an emergency, he's more likely to shoot them than any bad guy. Btw, the school resource officers have never, to my mind, made any arrests for the thousands of assaults, drug offenses, thefts or robberies committed by school children in schools. A further note, the theft of personal property from the person of another valued in excess of five dollars (whether by pickpocket or robber) is grand larceny in Virginia, a felony.

By permitting kids to violate the law anyway they want to in the presence of law enforcement, we're teaching our kids to grow up to be criminals. Assuming, of course, that they aren't shot by school resource officers first.

I would much rather have teachers who are interested and eligible doing concealed carry. That way, shooting up a school wouldn't be like shooting fish in a barrel.