The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of those kinetic bullet pullers that look like a hammer. Some bluest just pop right out, but others won't even budge. The bullets have been crimped. My 9mm bullets pulled easy its the .223 bullets that won't come out. I hit and hit nd nothing. Is there something I'm mising? Any hints. I've even tried to reseat a bit just to move the bullet. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Be sure that the surface you are whacking the hammer on is very solid. I use a large piece of fire wood, a plywood table just will not work.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
It's called "kinetic" because it relies on mass and Newton's laws of motion. A body in motion tends to remain in motion. If you are trying to pull a 9mm bullet, you swing the hammer, which gets the entire cartridge moving. You hit the block, the hammer stops, the cartridge also stops, but the bullet wants to keep going. That 115 grain 9mm bullet has more kinetic energy built up, in the swing, than that 55 grain 223 bullet. A 500 grain 45/70 bullet is even easier to move.

There's not "trick" to it. You're not "missing something". It's just physics. That little lightweight bullet don't wanna pull. All you can do is keep swinging and hoping.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
Oh, and like Carver said - you don't want whatever you are using as a block to give. If it does, it absorbs some of that kinetic energy.

·
Super Moderator
47,724 Posts
I smack my RCBS kinetic bullet puller on a piece of granite. Every time I whack it, I think it is going to break into a million pieces, but I have been using this one for about 10 years or so. The first one I had did break, but it broke at the handle and not the hammer part.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was it my surface wasn't solid enough. I was using the corner of my loading bench. I used a magazine on the concrete floor and they started falling out with ease. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's another trick. It won't make light bullets pull easier, but it'll save you time and frustration.

Take your shell holder off of your press, for the caliber you're pulling. Replace that O ring collet with the shell holder. Screw on the cap and swing away.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try that, I can see that will speed things up. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
47,724 Posts
Here's another trick. It won't make light bullets pull easier, but it'll save you time and frustration.

Take your shell holder off of your press, for the caliber you're pulling. Replace that O ring collet with the shell holder. Screw on the cap and swing away.
I don't see how that will save you any time. You still have to unscrew the top and replace the cartridge, pour out the bullet and powder, and then re-screw the top to smack the next one. I'm going to try it next time I get to do some reloading to see how that works.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
You don't have to fight the cartridge down through the hole, possibly having one of the three fingers slip out of the o-ring. Just slide it in the notch in the shell holder.

It's a little quicker. If you've got a BUNCH to do, it speeds things up greatly.

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
Be sure that the surface you are whacking the hammer on is very solid. I use a large piece of fire wood, a plywood table just will not work.
ditto that.

I brought in a 2.5' piece of 6x6 left over from my barn construction and have that setting unde rmy reload bench. i slide it out and stand it up as a kinetic puller 'target'

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You don't have to fight the cartridge down through the hole, possibly having one of the three fingers slip out of the o-ring. Just slide it in the notch in the shell holder.

It's a little quicker. If you've got a BUNCH to do, it speeds things up greatly.
With my fat fingers those little aluminum collets are a pain. They all seem to be too small, so I too, use the shell holders. But someone may come in with the "don't do it, you'll set off the cartridge" argument...

BTW; I have a lead ingot that I use, quite successfully, as a "whacking pad" for my kinetic puller. Much quieter too...

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
seems like if a shellholder was dangerouns to set primers off.. all us relaoders'd be dead now as many primed and charged cases we set in a shell holder and then ram up into a die to seat/crip a finished cartridge eh?

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts

I thought having the pieces come out of the oring only happened to me.:)

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
I did find out how to cut back on that happening. Even though the instructions say to have the "shell-holder-piece" a certain way (I don't remember whether it is supposed to be flat side up or flat side down), I've found that it works both ways. So once I have popped the bullet out, I take the next loaded round and put the bullet into the open mouth the round I just dumped, then push. The loaded round pushes the empty case out, and fits itself into the "shell-holder-piece" without dislodging any of the fingers. This new one is pointed the other way - if the first round had the head at the round edge, this second round has the head at the flat edge - but like I said, it does not seem to matter. Then the third one will have the head at the round edge again. You only have to fight the first one through the fingers. The rest slide though with no problem. It's just like using a slave pin to put the safety back on your 1911.

·
Super Moderator
47,724 Posts
I don't see how that will save you any time. You still have to unscrew the top and replace the cartridge, pour out the bullet and powder, and then re-screw the top to smack the next one. I'm going to try it next time I get to do some reloading to see how that works.
I was out piddling around in my "reloading building" today getting some of the 7.62X39 cases ready to load. I thought I would pull the bullets on the OLD 30.06 rounds that didn't go off last week. I put the first one in the kinetic puller and then stopped when I thought of this thread. I thought I would try the shell holder "trick". I'll be damned if it didn't work better and faster than that little collet thing, just like ya'll said it would. I've got to say that ya'll made a believer out of me!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.