The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have ordered a spring kit and am on the verge of tuning up this rifle. Does anyone know if this thing can be slicked up too much? It has issues not feeding 38sp like it should.Guide rails seem to be proper distance etc.All detents ,notches will be maintained, I don't want the lever to become floppity or it to become unsafe in some way. Any help?:confused:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Robert: I shoot a Rossi 45 LC and have had it for 10 or 12 years. And my friend has had his Rossi 38spl/357mag longer than that. Both guns feed RNFP bullets the smoothest and both guns have been shot a lot at Cowboy Action Shoots, and Hunting. My Rossi is about as slick as any Lever Gun I have ever tried. Neither Gun feeds SWC`s very well at all. Try the RNFP`s and then shoot rifle well oiled as much can, and just work the mty action as much as you can, and see if you don`t notice your rifle doesn`t smooth up in a very short time. I don`t dry fire my rifle while working the action just keep it well oiled. My rifle is still very tight action and lever. I shoot my rifle quite a bit, I even use it to hunt Pigs in OK & TX
Good Luck To You: ken

·
Registered
574 Posts
I recently bought an older Rossi 92 and it was very tight. I purchased the tune-up video and the spring and mag follower from Steve's website. I used the video to do an action job and it made worlds of difference. The gun is now very smooth. Without the video I would have not known how to take the gun apart or put it back together or what parts to polish. Things have to be done in a certain order. I'm glad I spent the money and bought the video and parts kit. I watched the video a couple of times, and then on the day I decided to do the action job I played it step by step as I worked on the gun. Here is his site http://store.stevesgunz.com/

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The main purpose of Steve's kit & video seem to be for Cowboy action shooters who want a really fast action. You can use your own judgement on how slick you want to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my spring kit arrived today and apart the 92 went.:bleh: I say now in my 50 years of dealing with firearms I have never seen a more disgusting mess. This gun looks as tho the parts were made in a Pakistan tribal forge,and all the machining[only the bare minimum to make it functional]was performed with a rough grit grinding wheel.:mad:My nastiest Italian BP revolver is a masterpiece compared to this thing.:( This gun was purchased brand new about 9 months ago. One good thing,it can only get better from here. I am no longer concerned about doing any damage or harming this thing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
"and all the machining[only the bare minimum to make it functional]was performed with a rough grit grinding wheel."
Yes that is why an action job will transform these Rossi rifles. I used a couple of Arkansas oil stones for some of my final polishing. I do also have a real 118 year old model 92. It is a family heirloom. It is slick and smooth as butter. I dont think any Rossi will ever be that good but alas I got the Rossi as an everyday shooter. I still shoot my real 92 on occasion but I handle it with kid gloves when I do. It mostly stays in the safe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got down to business on this thing [after the initial shock].I had to spend alot of time with the essential parts installed in the reciever, cycling dummy rounds threw the path they take. I have a much better understanding of the what and whys of the tuning posts I have read.I continuously set rounds on the lift ramp, and brought them up and threw the guide plates into the chamber, with a dowel, and then the bolt watching very carefully.I relieved the entry into the chamber[ramped it slightly] to match the angle machined into the left guidance plate.That seemed to help an area of unhappiness for the cartridge.Polished all the pins,pin holes,spring contact areas,guide plate friction areas,action activation areas w stones 1000 paper then jewlers rouge. Installed Gunslinger springs,thinned spring at loading gate,cut approx 3" off mag spring,and lubed it all up.And refinished stock.The puma m92 kit is done for now.Looks and feels much better .Will give it the real test in the West in a couple days.;)

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I didn't buy any springs or take it apart. I just filled the action of my Rossi 92 up with white lithium grease and worked the action a few hours. Before you had to slam the lever down hard to raise the lifter. Now you can run loads through it as fast as you want to with one finger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No dice with this thing working properly.During tests it still fails to feed 38s .Does anyone know the answer to this?When a 38 comes from the magazine on to the lift ramp and is halted by the stop on the lift ramp, what is supposed to stop the next round under spring pressure from following it and over hanging the ramp and jamming it.357s work because take all the space on the ramp and exclude any further rounds coming from the mag. The 38s must have that 1/8 " extra free space and something else must halt the rounds from the mag?That flipper on the left guide?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Wish I could help. I've been following your saga with high interest as I'm about to receive a 44 mag version of your rifle. I've already purchased the video mentioned as I'm sure it will need work right out of the box.

Please keep posting about your experiences. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have heard of the fail to feed issues with some guns that say they will shoot cases of different lengths such as .38 / .357 & .44spl / .44mag but the gun only likes either the short or the long brass. I suggest that you call Steve at Steve's Guns and ask him about possible solutions. Everyone says he is the Rossi expert.

If it likes the .357 cases, you could just use .357 brass and lightly load to 38 special formulas when you wanted a mild round.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If it likes the .357 cases, you could just use .357 brass and lightly load to 38 special formulas when you wanted a mild round.
Big +1 on that.

Well I just received my Rossi, and out of the box the action is much smoother than I anticipated. I've already got the ghost ring sight that will replace the rear safety, and I can't possibly do that fast enough. The steel work seems reasonably well done, however the woodwork is stained a bit light for my likes and has about 1 atoms' thickness of lacquer/clear coat on the forearm wood.

We'll see how it goes. I should have it taken apart and (hopefully) put back together by the end of this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just had the gun shooting in WV the last couple days and it is very smooth and has a very nice trigger now , and is very accurate:).I may have been too harsh on the producers of this firearm,but I am very particular about fit and finish and almost all my guns have been remanufactured in some way.This gun has a very particular problem/malfunction right from the box.The flipper/cartridge excluder[my name for it] on the left cartridge guide was and still is non functional.It does not do its job of metering the rounds out of the magazine,so they all follow one another in a row onto the lift ramp.The 38s are a problem because the stop on the lift ramp is calibrated for 357 length and they stop with the bullet nose at the front edge of the ramp and they act as their own excluder and work fine..The overhang of the round coming out of the mag [approx 1/8"] jams the ramp with 38s.I have many thousands of 38 cases and thats a resource I cant just disregard.I am going to disassemble again and look at what can be done.:( P.S. Watch out for that &%#$% collar ejector spring.I will make a special tool for that this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The spring is in.It does keep the next round in check when testing like shown in the pictures.However when loading threw the loading gate the 38 round does not have the length to push the #2 round, second round in order of firing deep enough to catch its rim on the excluder.So first cocking of the gun has a round overhanging the lifter and its all bad from there.Plus I think the spring was not right when recieved,but it is now!If I load it threw the gate and then open the bolt part way and push the #2 round up past the excluder then close the bolt she runs good,in my living room w dummy rounds..[there isn't an emoticon for how I feel]frustrated in need of a stick to use on the last round loaded threw the gate,or a longer finger.Tried that in WV but the lifter still jamed.Maybe that was a fluke.:confused:I'm not beat but I need a small rest. Stay tuned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.