The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why, but I'm really itching for a new 22. I've got a Marlin 60, but I would really like a lever or pump. Are there any disadvantages or advantages to either or is this something I should just look for the best deal?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would choose a Marlin 39 over a Remington pump
I would take a Winchester lever over a Browning pump
Of the 4 guns I just mentioned the Winchester 9422 is the only one I do not currrently own

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I shot a Henry Golden Boy lever action recently and fell in love with it. Couldn't believe how comfortable and smooth action it was. I must have one now. Maybe you should take a look?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Taurus Pump and the Henry lever with the 18" barrel are the two I've looked at seriously. I'd love to have the Marlin, but at current prices, I can't justify spending $500 on a 22.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There are more lever .22's out there, but I've shot a pump as well. Both are fun, but a pump is easier to shoot in my opinion

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Well, it's very simple.
You want to get off of some money ?
Find a pump...several really nice ones...
and pay the price.....you will like it.
Get a lever.....
only two I deem the best, a Marlin 39....[A or better yet D]
or a Henry Golden Boy.
Don't think you will find a good pump....
or a good lever....for anywhere near the price of
a Marlin 60.
Chances of finding a Marlin 39D are slim.
A Henry Golden Boy .22lr will cost you some $$$$
[compared to an average inexpensive alternative]
BUT worth it !!!!!
The pic is a Marlin 39D and is the sweetest
.22short,long,lr I have ever seen in my 70yrs.
ACCURATE ! Smooth.Sweet.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just bought my son a Henry a year ago and it has been fantastic. I think I paid in the mid $300 range for it, and it's all American, truly nice craftsmanship.
His isn't the golden boy variety, just a basic blued steel levergun.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you want quality generally you pay for it.
I have handled a nice Henry, I have seen some that are junk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a big difference in quality between the Golden Boy and the standard Henry carbine?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I understand your dilemma . In order to solve this,buy one of each, lol.I am a fan of Henry,Marlin,and Winchester.They all are excellent. Go to a gun store, put them to your should shoulder you will know which one you like best. AS far as I know,Henry is the only American Company that makes both. Enjoy your search

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had pump shotguns for years, then got acouple of 22 pumps. Once I got the 22 I shot it a lot. I discovered I really did not like pumps, I don't know why , I just don't like pumps. I really do like lever actions. Idon't find that I really have to have a reason to like anything, I just like what I like. I like revolvers, bolt actions, lever actions and break actions. I have been a shooter for 60 years. I have found that I have to try things,often several timesto find what I like.Sometimes I get it right the first time, one of these was the Marlin 39D I bought brand new. It seems to me there are a group of people who love the 39A , I think it is too long and heavy. The regular Henrys seem to be nice guns, I think the golden boy is an abomination. There all kinds of new and used 22's on the market. In the long run it is up to figure out what's for you. I have bpught some I really liked , even lusted for, shot them a little and traded them, usually at a loss to get rid of them. I have just bumped into some that I cherish. Ihope you enjoy your search as much as I have mine. Lots of us have more than one 22.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I don't know why, but I'm really itching for a new 22. I've got a Marlin 60, but I would really like a lever or pump. Are there any disadvantages or advantages to either or is this something I should just look for the best deal?
How long will it take you to reload that pump? How about the lever gun? I don't think that one holds any real advantage, or disadvantage, over the other, except in the loading department. The lever can be topped off at any time, or just add a couple more rounds when you get the chance, can't do that with a pump! You won't find too many really good deals out there for either gun. Sellers that know what they have will be asking the best price they can get. But sometimes these folks mess up. My brother just bought a 39a for $150, it was broken, but it only cost him $100 to fix it!

·
Registered
17,284 Posts
Why can't you do that with a pump? A tube magazine is a tube magazine. They all work by pulling the follower out, at the muzzle. No loading gate on a 22.

I got one lever. Marlin. It's okay. Heavy, but okay. I got three pumps. Remington, Rossi Winchester copy and Winchester. I prefer the pumps. They are lighter, for one thing, and the loading motion, to me anyway, is more natural.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's just that I want something that compares to my Dad's Remington 550-1. I love that thing, super accurate, and will cycle anything. I just can't find another semi-auto that cycles all shorts and lr's, so I guess that's why I'm looking at the levers.

G

·
The nicest lever action rimfire I ever shot was a Browning BLR. In second place and almost neck and neck was the Marlin Golden 39A my mom has one. That is one sweet shooting lever gun and nice man her's has nice deep bluing good looking stocks and is accurate as all get out.

For pumps. I have only ever fired 1 pump 22lr. That is the old Winchester Model 62 my dad has. It is a nice slick gun to shoot and with open sights I was hitting 100 yard steel rams 97% of the time.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I love both. But both have their + and -. In my experience the pump action is the more delicate. Needs meticulous cleaning and care. On average older collectible lever action .22 rifles IMO seem to survive in working condition more often than old pump actions.
But there were more pump actions made as well. So that may be the difference. I just know that I've purchased and repaired (or attempted to) a bunch of old pump action .22 rifles. But rarely see a non working lever action. And when I do it's usually a REALLY REALLY old and rare model. And therefore not only priced above my range, but probably extremely hard to find parts for.
The thing that IMO the pump action has going for it is this. IMO much faster than the lever action. You can fire a pump almost as fast as a semi auto.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts