The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 22 years old and I been doing research on buying a gun from an FFL. I have owned guns before, but never bought from an FFL. I noticed that on the paperwork I fill out before a Background check ask if I ever been Involuntary Committed and if answered yes that this can prevent me from purchasing. Is Baker Act the same as being Involuntary Committed?

I have been baker acted 28 times varying from Depression and Anger Management Issues. I have recovered alot since I was last institutionalized. And my mentality has grown since I became a born again Christian. But my past can not be taken back.

Can I answer no, or does being Baker Acted in the past require I say yes. I havent been legally diagnosed with any mental disorder other than ADHD. And last year mental lab results showed that I was competent and sane.

Would buying privately be better, I really want one for sporting and personal self defense. We are living dangerous times. Thank you for reading, and please reply maturely!

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
I found this on the internet.

Can you buy a gun if you were Baker acted?
According to state law, while people institutionalized against their will, commonly known as the Baker Act, are prohibited from purchasing firearms, those who voluntarily commit themselves and stay on a voluntary status can obtain guns.Feb 15, 2018

I would say if you did not voluntarily put yourself in NO. If you buy from a private party you are breaking the law and could face jail time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this on the internet.

Can you buy a gun if you were Baker acted?
According to state law, while people institutionalized against their will, commonly known as the Baker Act, are prohibited from purchasing firearms, those who voluntarily commit themselves and stay on a voluntary status can obtain guns.Feb 15, 2018
Thank you for your response. I guess this means for the rest of my life despite me acting out foolishly from a young age. Which young individuals commonly do maybe not to my extent but still.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
JJ - I am pleased that you ask this question here. Shows maturity.

This is NOT meant to "put you down", but I am curious as to why you want to buy a firearm. If you qualify under the law to purchase a firearm, then no one will want to take away your right to do so. I do think that it is wise for YOU to ask yourself why you wish to possess a firearm. Is it for self defense, sport or just 'collecting'?

Whatever you do, be sure to be honest with yourself and the application/paper work. Only bad things can happen if you do otherwise. You stated that you have 'recovered a lot' (Congratulations!!!). Only you know whether or not you have taken enough steps away to trust yourself. If you believe in your heart that you are ready and have the depression and anger far behind you - go for it. If you think maybe you should wait a little while longer - do that. Just a little advice from a guy who is old enough to be your grandfather.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,078 Posts
Thank you for your response. I guess this means for the rest of my life despite me acting out foolishly from a young age. Which young individuals commonly do maybe not to my extent but still.
You may want to discuss this with an attorney; a lot of things are supposed to be removed from a person's records if they happened while still a minor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you all for your comments I will further look into this.

JJ - I am pleased that you ask this question here. Shows maturity.

This is NOT meant to "put you down", but I am curious as to why you want to buy a firearm. If you qualify under the law to purchase a firearm, then no one will want to take away your right to do so. I do think that it is wise for YOU to ask yourself why you wish to possess a firearm. Is it for self defense, sport or just 'collecting'?

Whatever you do, be sure to be honest with yourself and the application/paper work. Only bad things can happen if you do otherwise. You stated that you have 'recovered a lot' (Congratulations!!!). Only you know whether or not you have taken enough steps away to trust yourself. If you believe in your heart that you are ready and have the depression and anger far behind you - go for it. If you think maybe you should wait a little while longer - do that. Just a little advice from a guy who is old enough to be your grandfather.
Well I enjoy hunting, and going to the fire range, and lastly for defense. I believe self defense is Biblical. I have managed to control my emotions and use them in the right way to turn around bad situations.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yes, get some assistance from a good lawyer who advertises to specialize in that area of the law.

Absolutely DO NOT lie on the application. Lie the first time, and you might get a gun, but if ATF ever audits the application, and they think you may have lied, then you are cooked. Might even be convicted of a crime (lying on the application), and possible prison time. Needless to say, you would play hell ever getting another chance to purchase a firearm.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
There are other option you can look at. Air rifles are not firearms and can be a lot of fun. Black powder handguns and rifles are not considered firearms in most states. They are also a lot of fun.

·
Administrator
12,477 Posts
Lie the first time, and you might get a gun, but if ATF ever audits the application, and they think you may have lied, then you are cooked
And they audit and check on buyers after the fact. Alabama is going through a situation now where the ATF found buyers that had CC Permits that were convicted felons. Sheriffs were not doing thorough background checks for CC Permits. In Alabama you could, but can not now, buy a firearm without a background check by just showing your permit.

·
Premium Member
13,252 Posts
Welcome to TFF From Sitka Alaska. Contact ATF direct, outline everything exactly as noted in your Post No. 1 and request a ruling in writing.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives
99 New York Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20226

(202) 648-7080

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thank everyone for all the information, at the end of the day if I am unable to get a firearm. Then I believe that is God's will and its his will be done. I was just asking mainly because I wanted one personally for self defense. Ive been robbed at gun point once 2 years ago and sometimes I wonder what if something like that happens again and if I were concealing how different the situation would of been. As for sporting, I got family and friends that own firearms and occassionaly participate in sporting events and I have gone hunting once and to the firing range quite a number of times.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If you have been subject to Baker Act in Florida, Your application will be flagged subject to special scrutiny. I doubt you will be approved and could have a vist from LEO

·
GUNZILLA
7,035 Posts
I have to agree with some of the comments posted above and my immediate emotional response to your question immediately raised my concerns to the point of being discriminate to your plight. But as I have encountered great obstacles in my lifetime due to discrimination, some warranted and others not, I still would warn you heavily against purchasing any firearms especially since you are still so young and life will throw things at you that you have no control of only on how you respond to those situations. But the fair side of my character will always look at giving everyone a 2nd chance so I recommend that you hire an attorney to give you legal advice in buying a firearm.

·
10,342 Posts
I have to agree with some of the comments posted above and my immediate emotional response to your question immediately raised my concerns to the point of being of being discriminate to your plight. But as I have encountered great obstacles in my lifetime due to discrimination, some warranted and others not I still would warn you heavily against purchasing any firearms especially since you are still so young and life will throw things at you that you have no control of only on how you respond to those situations. But the fair side of my character will always look at giving everyone a 2nd chance so I recommend that you hire an attorney to give you legal advice in buying a firearm.
My thoughts exactly.

·
GUNZILLA
7,035 Posts
Ive been robbed at gun point once 2 years ago and sometimes I wonder what if something like that happens again and if I were concealing how different the situation would of been.
There is a distinct possibility that a few that carry legally may react differently, but that does not mean that it is the correct action. The fact that you are alive seems to speak volumes without you realizing that you did the right thing at that moment. It is a very distinct possibility had you been carrying a firearm and you tried to defend yourself that you might have gotten yourself shot, possibly killed or worse you might have taken an innocent bystander's life for whatever possession you might have had on your body that can be replaced. You can never replace a human life .

If they already have the drop or the advantage on you because they have a gun pointed at you, there is no way that you can draw, aim , shoot faster, and hit your target especially if you have not trained or are experienced, than someone pointing a gun at you already and all he/she has to do is squeeze the trigger. That gun on your side will not change your odds to the better in that scenario, but it will get you killed by giving you a false sense of invincibility .

I was asked by my father-in-law what my reaction would be if I got carjacked and some one pulled a gun and ordered me to get out of my truck. I said I would get out and give them the truck. I pay insurance I can get it replaced but not a human life. I was asked how I would react if someone came in and held up the restaurant while we were eating. I would give them my wallet and watch and whatever valuables they had. He asked why I wouldn't use my gun, and I simply stated that at this point no one has gotten harmed, just robbed. But if I acted stupidly and try to be a hero and start shooting, people will die and get hurt. I may be able to shoot the robber but with that same bullet I may easily have killed the baby sitting in the baby chair because the bullet would have gone through.

Once an event is taking place like a robbery as in your case or as in the scenario mentioned above there is no need to escalate it by using deadly force. The responsibility of carrying a gun is greater than most people ever imagine .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a distinct possibility that a few that carry legally may react differently, but that does not mean that it is the correct action. The fact that you are alive seems to speak volumes without you realizing that you did the right thing at that moment. It is a very distinct possibility had you been carrying a firearm and you tried to defend yourself that you might have gotten yourself shot, possibly killed or worse you might have taken an innocent bystander's life for whatever possession you might have had on your body that can be replaced. You can never replace a human life .

If they already have the drop or the advantage on you because they have a gun pointed at you, there is no way that you can draw, aim , shoot faster, and hit your target especially if you have not trained or are experienced, than someone pointing a gun at you already and all he/she has to do is squeeze the trigger. That gun on your side will not change your odds to the better in that scenario, but it will get you killed by giving you a false sense of invincibility .

I was asked by my father-in-law what my reaction would be if I got carjacked and some one pulled a gun and ordered me to get out of my truck. I said I would get out and give them the truck. I pay insurance I can get it replaced but not a human life. I was asked how I would react if someone came in and held up the restaurant while we were eating. I would give them my wallet and watch and whatever valuables they had. He asked why I wouldn't use my gun, and I simply stated that at this point no one has gotten harmed, just robbed. But if I acted stupidly and try to be a hero and start shooting, people will die and get hurt. I may be able to shoot the robber but with that same bullet I may easily have killed the baby sitting in the baby chair because the bullet would have gone through.

Once an event is taking place like a robbery as in your case or as in the scenario mentioned above there is no need to escalate it by using deadly force. The responsibility of carrying a gun is greater than most people ever imagine .
This is a very good response and very detailed oriented. I understand the quality of another persons life, and am actually very vocal about the quality of life and understanding of individuals. And yes I have taken into account the possibility of being killed. As far as knowledge for firearms I did state that I have been in possession of firearms before and yes I am very much aware of the dangers and responsibilities that comes with it.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
You have to play the card you are dealt in this life. You have to adapt to your unique situation. You can still shoot black powder and airguns. Don't discount this as they can be a lot of fun. As far as self defence with a handgun that may not be an option for you. I would check with an attorney on this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts