Purchasing online?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by WhyMi, Jul 20, 2020.

1. WhyMi

WhyMi New Member

Hi all. New to the hobby and hunting. Every local store around me charges 30% to 50% over what is listed at some big box stores like BassPro or Cabelas. Even with the FFL fee it's still way cheaper.

I live in NJ and could drive to PA if needed.

How do you buy online? Anyone do this?

Are the steps?
    1. Buy online
    2. Call store when ready
    3. Have then ship to FFL
    4. Pick up at FFL

shootbrownelk likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

1. I call my Local Gun Shop (LGS) first to see if they have what I want and to see if the online shop has a copy of their license if they don't have what I want.
    2. Buy online
    3. Have them ship it to FFL
    4. Pick it up at FFL and pay their transfer fees.

I don't mind my LGS charging a little more, they need to make a living, too.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Are you talking ammo and supplies or firearms?

flboots likes this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Just sent a check to Montana this morning. In this instance it's an antique by Federal description so it will be shipped directly to me. New Jersey might not be like that. Otherwise, yes, you have it right.

flboots and joe45c like this.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Whether handled as a transfer to LGS or as a long gun purchase in PA, he'll need a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card in order to take delivery. If bought in PA that dealer must also insure the item is not prohibited under NJ's draconian firearms laws.

6. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

I have, but rarely. When you order online you must name your FFL dealer, and the firearm is then sent to that FFL dealer who will screen you when you go pick it up. Call around and find a dealer who has reasonable hours and charges.

If you are buying parts or ammo that do not require an FFL transfer, the seller ships directly to you.

Simply driving to another state will not absolve you from the requirement to comply completely with your own state's laws. If you do purchase a firearm out of state, the dealer should qualify you for the state in which you reside. Not all dealers are so accommodating in that regard, so always check first.

flboots, joe45c and Bigdog57 like this.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I know what I want I just go to my LGS and if they don't have it they will order it for me. I only had to wait for a backorder one time.

Wild Turkey Cogburn and flboots like this.
  8. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Basically yes. Many of the big online gun retailers keep local FFLs right on file. If you order from Cabela's, they are their own FFL, comes right to the store.
    Join Cabela's club and get free shipping if you're ordering ammo online...unless you can't get it shipped to you in Jersey :(

9. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Make sure your FFL dealer will accept the transfer & make sure they are not about to close down. A lot of gun dealers are shutting down around here, buyers having gun shipped in are getting stuck if the gun doesn't get there in time.

CCHolderinMaine likes this.
  10. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I'll buy from my lgs or the gun range owned by a veteran does a lot for the wounded warriors. My online purchases I will call the range to expect shipment and I pay them. In return I get to shoot at their range for free to try out my new toy. Lately I buy my firearms on base if the carry it or can order as I save big bucks in not paying taxes or shipping and transfer fees.

11. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

He's from NJ, he can't buy squat without the state approving it. They can't even sell BB guns in chinamart.

12. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    Pay only with a check obtained from the US POSTAL SERVICE!

If you dont receive the goods it becomes a federal offense much more likely to get a response from the federal jack booted thugs than the locals where you sent the check.

ms6852 and mudman35962 like this.
  13. Clipped-in

Clipped-in Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This -