The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the hobby and hunting. Every local store around me charges 30% to 50% over what is listed at some big box stores like BassPro or Cabelas. Even with the FFL fee it's still way cheaper.

I live in NJ and could drive to PA if needed.

How do you buy online? Anyone do this?

Are the steps?
  1. Buy online
  2. Call store when ready
  3. Have then ship to FFL
  4. Pick up at FFL

·
Super Moderator
41,589 Posts
1. I call my Local Gun Shop (LGS) first to see if they have what I want and to see if the online shop has a copy of their license if they don't have what I want.
2. Buy online
3. Have them ship it to FFL
4. Pick it up at FFL and pay their transfer fees.

I don't mind my LGS charging a little more, they need to make a living, too.

·
Super Moderator
28,311 Posts
Are you talking ammo and supplies or firearms?

Reactions: flboots

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Just sent a check to Montana this morning. In this instance it's an antique by Federal description so it will be shipped directly to me. New Jersey might not be like that. Otherwise, yes, you have it right.

Reactions: flboots and joe45c

·
Premium Member
13,275 Posts
1. I call my Local Gun Shop (LGS) first to see if they have what I want and to see if the online shop has a copy of their license if they don't have what I want.
2. Buy online

Whether handled as a transfer to LGS or as a long gun purchase in PA, he'll need a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card in order to take delivery. If bought in PA that dealer must also insure the item is not prohibited under NJ's draconian firearms laws.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

Are the steps?
  1. Buy online
  2. Call store when ready
  3. Have then ship to FFL
  4. Pick up at FFL
I have, but rarely. When you order online you must name your FFL dealer, and the firearm is then sent to that FFL dealer who will screen you when you go pick it up. Call around and find a dealer who has reasonable hours and charges.

If you are buying parts or ammo that do not require an FFL transfer, the seller ships directly to you.

Simply driving to another state will not absolve you from the requirement to comply completely with your own state's laws. If you do purchase a firearm out of state, the dealer should qualify you for the state in which you reside. Not all dealers are so accommodating in that regard, so always check first.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
If I know what I want I just go to my LGS and if they don't have it they will order it for me. I only had to wait for a backorder one time.

·
Garandaholic
9,528 Posts
Hi all. New to the hobby and hunting. Every local store around me charges 30% to 50% over what is listed at some big box stores like BassPro or Cabelas. Even with the FFL fee it's still way cheaper.

Are the steps?
  1. Buy online
  2. Call store when ready
  3. Have then ship to FFL
  4. Pick up at FFL
Basically yes. Many of the big online gun retailers keep local FFLs right on file. If you order from Cabela's, they are their own FFL, comes right to the store.
Join Cabela's club and get free shipping if you're ordering ammo online...unless you can't get it shipped to you in Jersey :(

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Make sure your FFL dealer will accept the transfer & make sure they are not about to close down. A lot of gun dealers are shutting down around here, buyers having gun shipped in are getting stuck if the gun doesn't get there in time.

·
GUNZILLA
7,189 Posts
I'll buy from my lgs or the gun range owned by a veteran does a lot for the wounded warriors. My online purchases I will call the range to expect shipment and I pay them. In return I get to shoot at their range for free to try out my new toy. Lately I buy my firearms on base if the carry it or can order as I save big bucks in not paying taxes or shipping and transfer fees.

·
Super Moderator
28,311 Posts
Basically yes. Many of the big online gun retailers keep local FFLs right on file. If you order from Cabela's, they are their own FFL, comes right to the store.
Join Cabela's club and get free shipping if you're ordering ammo online...unless you can't get it shipped to you in Jersey :(
He's from NJ, he can't buy squat without the state approving it. They can't even sell BB guns in chinamart.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Pay only with a check obtained from the US POSTAL SERVICE!

If you dont receive the goods it becomes a federal offense much more likely to get a response from the federal jack booted thugs than the locals where you sent the check.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
This -
2. Buy online

·
Premium Member
What guns?
641 Posts
I must have bought 20 guns online. I've lost count. I don't bother with local places. They don't have anything, and they charge too much.

Good online retailers will post lists of FFL's. You choose from the list, and the retailer takes it from there. If not, you can go to a certain unmentionable auction site and check their list of FFL's. Just call someone from the list.

Sorry I'm not allowed to tell you which sites have given me good results.

Reactions: ScrapMetal
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.