The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife's dad received a Purple Heart in WW2. he is no longer with us. it now resides in our safe.
on last nights news there was a story of a Purple Heart without a owner. there is a search for family of the recipient. a reference was made to sending the award to a museum.
my question is if in years to come if non of our family has an interest in this award, is there a place to sent it that is appropriate. [museum]? i had never given this a thought till that news story. what is the correct place to retire military awards?
thank you all

rick

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Shadowbox honoring the Member. Tri-folded flag, and the awards. Hung/displayed in remembrance.

Honor the Individual.

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,584 Posts
I was honored to see my great uncles...
My dad was to get a Presidential unit citation... something about a oak leaf?

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Presidential Unit Citation with an oak leaf cluster. I don't know what the oak leaf represents.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Presidential Unit Citation (United States) - Wikipedia

Worn above the right breast pocket of a dress uniform. The oak leaf cluster shows a second award of the PUC. You only wear the ribbon when assigned to the unit- unless you were part of that unit when it was awarded- then it is yours for life. Unfortunately, the one pictured is upside down- gold border has ears of wheat, supposed to be up. Sorry too many years of correcting young PFCs at parade inspections.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
C3, I thought that might be what the oak leaf was for but I was not certain. Thank you for the clarification.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
It is not an individual citation, it is awarded to a unit, hence the name Presidential UNIT Citation.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
If none of your children want to keep it then what of your wife's siblings or their children if she has any? If none of them want it then contact a WW2 or military museum and donate it there.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Rick, what theatre did your father in law serve in and how did he earn his purple heart? If you or your wife know this information write it down and keep it with his medal and his flag if your wife has that as well. While it is still in your care do as Ken suggested and put the flag and medal in a shadow box, display it proudly, and keep that written history with it. My mother still has my grandfathers flag presented to my father when my grandfather passed.
I don't know which of his grand children will get it when the time comes, but I'm sure my mom does. :)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mudman- click on the link I posted. That is the military museum in your state. See if they would accpt it.
i did. did not see the type of display this would fit in. may be there just did not see it.
FIL was in Layite, got his foot half blowen of. he was a Lt. at the time. met MIL at military hospital. finished the war training recruits. finished the war as a Captain. wife born in El Paso. went to high school in Manatee Florida. few family members left and non of them has interest in any of this.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Do you mean Leyte in the Phillipines?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here ya go!!! The official National Purple Heart Hall of Honor. Its about 40 minutes from my house located New Windsor, NY. It has all records on who received the Purple Heart and what they have done and the history of the medal. Even has the very first one which I believe is made of wood. I was last there in 2018 looking up my uncle's medal he got during WW2. He was a SeeBee in the Navy and his ship was torpedoed off the coast of the Philippine Islands. It had him listed with the story. They also take in unkown and abandon medals. They were shut down all of 2020 for Covid but I believe they are back open. I am sure for any information on a soldier (family member) who received one and searching for info about them, I would try calling them if you dont live close by. The web site allows you to do a search on line

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here ya go!!! The official National Purple Heart Hall of Honor. Its about 40 minutes from my house located New Windsor, NY. It has all records on who received the Purple Heart and what they have done and the history of the medal. Even has the very first one which I believe is made of wood. I was last there in 2018 looking up my uncle's medal he got during WW2. He was a SeeBee in the Navy and his ship was torpedoed off the coast of the Philippine Islands. It had him listed with the story. They also take in unkown and abandon medals. They were shut down all of 2020 for Covid but I believe they are back open. I am sure for any information on a soldier (family member) who received one and searching for info about them, I would try calling them if you dont live close by. The web site allows you to do a search on line
thank you sir! many helpful ideas above, this may be what i am looking for.
give yourself a smiley face!:)

rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your welcome!! My father and 3 Uncles all are WW2 vets they all survived the war, they are all past on now. When the last two surviving ones hit their mid 90's they opened up with stories. My son then 24 sat their in amazement and total respect as I did too. One Uncle was a belly gunner in a B-17 showed me pics and stuff. After the war at (enlisted at 19) years old he never flew again. Another Uncle was a MP Marines, and in Brooklyn he shot a German spy escaping from them on foot, they got demoted and he was shipped to the Pacific theatre. He was on land invasions in Guam, Saipan, and 4th wave on Iwo as a machine gunner. He was scheduled for the invasion on Japan for the second wave when they called it off after the bomb was dropped. He joined up at 17 and lied about his age. He saw some serieous sh%t. The other was a SeeBee in the Navy who got the Purple Heart as I mentioned in my previous post. My father was in the Army left the service as a Sgt. After after a short leave at training back in the morning all hung over he volunteered for an unknown detail to get out of work duty. So him a a few buddies were then shipped to Colorado and became Ski Instructors for the Army. Yup!! He lucked out by chance, he was the only one who never saw action.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts