Putting a hold on fixing my guns up.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jbrady314, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

Hello fellow gun enthusiasts,
    For those of you who have helped me with my many firearm issues, thank you I very much appreciate it. I am coming to you all on a completely different field of play as I found out yesterday that my left arm will be out of commission indefinitely. I went to the doctor with excruciating shoulder pain yesterday morning to find out that I have a tear in my Labrum. For those who don't know, this can lead to surgery and up to four months of recovery and physical therapy. Has anybody had this happen to them? I could use some advice from those who have been through this before.
    It seems that for now my Mosin Nagant and Heritage revolver I have been putting my soul into will have to wait.

flboots, ms6852 and BlackEagle like this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Me, last year. I was moving a heavy box and sprained my rotator cup. At 1st I thought it was a tear but just a sprain. Nevertheless, it took a long time to heal. Make sure and do physical therapy. That helped.

I was able to get back to shooting trap in about 4 weeks. I could only shoot my Remington 1100 as it has the recoil reducer butt pad. It's been around 10 months and I still have to use the Remington as my other shotguns hurt my shoulder too much to use.

joe45c and flboots like this.

3. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Few years back somebody too busy texting failed to notice the traffic ahead had stopped waiting for the lead car to make a left. I was the last to stop in line on my sidecar motorcycle. He slammed on his brakes and swerved at the last moment hitting my sidecar and sent me flying like a “rag doll” according to another motorist. Tore my left labrum, could have been worse.
    It took months of physical therapy to get back up to speed. Mostly light exercises with elastic bands. Surgery is the very last option to consider, more so for a shoulder injury. The shoulder is a complicated joint and those that know it know it’s best left to heal naturally if at all possible.
    From your description of the injury I would think physical therapy is very likely to have a good outcome. If your doctor is already leaning towards the surgical route you would be well advised to get another opinion.
    Mine is not 100% but I am able to still remain physically active with some discomfort when working with my arm over my head. Much better than the likely out come from that surgical repair. Be patient, these type injuries are slow to heal.

Gun Geezer, joe45c, Gudaki and 2 others like this.
  4. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

yeah I am an electrician by trade so taking it easy will be difficult, especially since I have a hard time stopping...even on the weekend I am constantly doing something. My fiance is constantly reminding me to take it easy but that's easier said than done. My doctor is keeping me home from work this week and says to call him on Friday to check in. He says that if I am still in a lot of pain come Monday, he will do an MRI to see the extent of the damage and then decide on the next course of action. This all started Sunday when I put my arm out the window of my truck while waiting for a train to pass. My shoulder popped very loudly and painfully. He said this might have happened weeks ago and all it took was one wrong move to seal the deal.
    For reference sake my arm is pretty much useless. I can't move it more than 5% in any direction from a hanging position without yelping in pain.

joe45c likes this.
  5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I make my living physically too but sometimes there comes a point where you just have to stand down a while. You will be back to normal sooner than if you keep fighting it.

Gun Geezer, joe45c, Gudaki and 3 others like this.
  6. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

So at what point did you start doing physical therapy? as I mentioned, mine is still fresh and I don't anticipate being able to do much with it for the next few weeks.

7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My better half's down in Meridian, Idaho in post-op physical rehab following right rotator cuff and bicep surgery which was done back in February. Repairing the torn bicep affected the ulnar nerve which runs all the way down to the pinky and ring finger, so more surgery. She's getting back up to speed in incremental "baby steps". Some things can't be rushed, and rehab is one of them. She's due for pretty much the same procedure on her left rotator cuff and bicep the 30th of this month. Lord willing she'll be back home in September.

ysacres, jbmid1 and BlackEagle like this.
  8. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

I have been in PT for 6 months.
    Hopefully, will finish PT next week.
    Then, it's 4 weeks of work condition.

Avoid surgery, if you can. Listen to the Drs
    Phys Therapist are a caring, sadistic bunch, that will help you. Do what, when, and how they tell you.

Gun Geezer, jbmid1, Gudaki and 3 others like this.
  9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Been a while but it was no more than a couple weeks. Mine was torn in one physical shock, yours sounds more like the result of many minor insults. Didn’t the doctor give you any idea on a time frame to begin rehab?

10. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hope you have a quick, complete recovery :)

Gun Geezer, BlackEagle and Jbrady314 like this.
  11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

A screwed up shoulder and you're an electrician. That's gonna suck. After 42 years as an electrician/electrical contractor I retired and I guess I'm going to pay for those 42 years of working over my head for the rest of my life. Mechanics have the same privilege though maybe not as bad as it used to be. Electricians...hard to wire a light fixture without working over your head.

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. Jbrady314

Jbrady314 Member

ah so you share my pain, at least in some form or fashion. Difference is I have been doing it for going on 6 years. I won't give up just because my shoulder despises me, I'll just have to figure out another way. My mentor just had a shoulder replacement surgery, I tease him about his bionic shoulder. He has been doing it for going on 38-40 years now.

thank you. I'll try not to let the cabin fever get to me too bad. I'm not good at staying still for too long.

yes he did. He said he expects me to be able to get back to work at least in some fashion by Monday but strictly on light duty until he determines it is safe to go back to 100%.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2020
    Gudaki, BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Both shoulders, had the left repaired, now the right needs it. Combo of labrum, rotator cuff, and small bone spurs the tendons rubbed on.
    If you do physical labor, and you're over 50, you have labrum tears, fact of life. They either cripple the use of the arm, or you never know they're there.
    A steroid shot can give you temporary relief, may even help to heal it enough it won't bother you. Then again, it can give you a false sense of "it's okay now", you over do it, bork it good, and then you need surgery to fix it.
    The surgery is a simple one, 1/2" incisions, 3 to 4 of them, arthroscope, throw a stitch in it, wake up, and they send you home. Everyone heals different, but about 3-4wks recovery time. Physical therapy for about 6wks after.
    "IF" you need surgery, I highly recommend the nerve block. Negates the need for opiate pain killers, post surgery. Kinda freaky, because the arm is completely dead for 14-24hrs, and it's a blessing! I wish that had been available 5 knee surgeries ago!

BlackEagle likes this.
  14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I suffered a traumatic shoulder dislocation of my left shoulder which is my shooting shoulder. It took a long long time for me to heal. Had incomplete tears of two tendons of the rotator cuff, the labrum and fracture of the shoulder socket and head of the humerus.

Ortho wanted to do surgery but decided to wait for the swelling to go down. After about 6 months of physical therapy I would still have excruciating pain but it was my fault because I was always lifting patients or scooting them over to the MRI table. I did get a steroid injection once and ortho doc said I had a lot of scar tissue because he could fill the needle as he described going through sand.

I continued to do the therapy on my own at home and at work and that helped keep my shoulder almost pain free. I have a lifetime supply of Naproxen that I use as needed. Don't take it all the time now, only when it gets bad and I need to sleep. But 90% of the time I am pain free. I am limited to what I can lift which is about 150 pounds more than that I feel the shoulder slipping in the socket. Docs can't believe I haven't done surgery yet all this years and can't explain why I have so much flexibility which should not be there. Work through the pain, it won't be easy but does not have to be debilitating .

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    sharps4590 and ral357 like this.
  15. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Arthritis and age took a toll on my right shoulder so last Oct I had a reverse replacement. Rehab ended the first of Jan with probably 95% recovery. I took Prescription pain meds the first 4 days after surgery but after that OTC only. i am restricted to lifting 35 pounds with that arm but have good movement except raising my hand above my waist in the back. The only advise I would give is do what the folks at rehab say to do.

Wild Turkey Cogburn and ms6852 like this.