The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have data from Sierra, Winchester and Lyman for loading 223 with 55gn bullet and Winchester 748 but none use the same brand bullet or brass as I have. Sierra says for a FMJBT to use a min of 25gn of 748 with a max of 26.5 with a COAL of 2.250. Lyman says min of 25gn max of 27.8gn with 55gn Jacketed SPT.
Winchester info says 22.5gn min with max of 25gns of 748 with a Barnes TSX FB 55gn bullet. I am using a 55gn FMJ BT from Magnus and Lake City Brass. Is 25gn of 748 a good starting point?

·
Super Moderator
41,388 Posts
I would use the Lyman information before the other. Since I am using a Hornady 55 grain bullet, I have been using the data from the Hornady manual. Hornady has an even different min and max load, it starts at 22.7 as minimum and 26.4 maximum. I load mine 24.6 grains of Win748 which is mid range according to their book.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
also time to get more manuals. get at least a manual for each projectile manufacturer you have.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If your using different make/manufacture components than what is listed in your manual for using WW748. Use the starting data for this powder for the particular bullet weight you are using and work your way up to the most accurate load or max loading density.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
A 25 grain starting load is fine. The tsx data will always be lower since they're longer than a soft point or fmj. You can work up to the 27.8gr charge. Just check pressure signs as you go or you find a good accurate load before you reach a max charge.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
In choosing your load, the first thing is decide what the intended purpose is. You need to consider the rifle (bolt or semi), the purpose of the load (tin cans or critters), the availability of components and so on.

If you are talking .223/5.56mm, most of that would be from an AR platform rifle, and you need to consider the twist rate of the rifleing. The older ones shoot the lighter 55 grain bullets better, and the newer ones like the heavier bullets more. The loaded overall length is also more critical with a semi auto because of feeding issues.

With your 55 grain FMJs and that LC brass, I'd go with a near minimum starting load (NOT under it!) and work up from there to find your best load, and stop before you get to the MAXIMUM load!. Most folks will tell you that milsurp brass is thicker than commercial brass, so the internal capacity is less and will produce higher chamber pressures vs the commercial cases. To simplify things, for the loaded length, I'd just take one unfired factory FMJ Ball round and set up my seating die to that dimension. That would be a great place to start or finish, again if you are using it in a semi-auto.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I am loading for a Colt M4 (1 in 7 twist) which I know is set up for heavy bullets but I am using this for plinking and not hunting etc. I will start at the 25 grains and go from there. Thanks! Do I need to crimp? An avaid reloader at work shoots bullseye matches and he said he never crimps for 223 even in his AR's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts