Question about carry permit.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by T. Bone, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM.

1. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

I lived in Georgia for a few years , became disabled. I had to move back to western ny . I have a N.Y. ccw permit. Also still have a Georgia permit to carry open. My question is can I renew my Georgia permit , with a N.Y. address.? Any info would be great , thank you...

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

T. Bone, I also have a Georgia Weapons License that I got when I lived in Madison County. When I moved to Clarke County, I went to the courthouse to get a new GWL with the new address and was told that I did not need to change it as long as I lived in Georgia. The clerk at the courthouse told me that all I needed when I came in to renew my GWL was my Georgia driver's license with my current address on it. With that in mind, I don't believe you would be able to renew yours unless you went to your old county seat and still had a GA license with your old address on it.

3. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

Do not know GA or NY carry laws, but for the gun I would recommend the Marlin or Henry.

T. Bone likes this.
  4. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

Thank you. It expires on 5/18 Sw I have a little time. I would like to keep it , then with the two permits (N.Y.-G.A.) I would be able to carry in almost every state. Like a Utah permit. I stay there for a few months a year ,more like a few weeks. I want the same address on both permits and to keep because of the other states that it covers. I have a address I can use in Georgia but I need to start sending mail to myself lol. Also my Georgia drivers license is expired. Hmm theirs got to be a way. Thank you very much , also was in Waycross Georgia. Loved it. Any more info or ideas would be great. Thanks again...

5. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

Now a lever action round for everything , I like power in a brush rifle. For distance and accuracy I like my 7mm rem mag. With scope. For a lever action I am thinking about a 30-30 or a 45/70 both rounds I am unfamiliar with...

6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You are asking about legal advice. If I were you - I'd contact BOTH States and get an official answer. You can get opinions 'out the wazzoo' here, but I'd hate to stand before 'Judge Wapner' and try to 'splain why I'm carrying where the Law says I shouldn't because "I heard it on TFF".

7. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

Lmao yesum sir. I went through the proper channels when I came back to N.Y. , I'm good here. Georgia I only need a permit to carry open. Before I had to come back I was able to carry under my badge through post. I just thought by keeping it I would not have to get a Utah permit. As far as the judge Georgia is a lot more liberal than N.Y. , so I definitely don't want the wrong info for N.Y.. lol not so liberal here. Thank you very much if I mess it up will y'all still right me ha. Thanks again brother...

jim brady likes this.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I am unaware of ANY state that will issue a RESIDENT carry permit to a NON-RESIDENT.

Since Georgia does not issue non-resident permits, the only legal option I can see is to get a non-resident permit from some state that has reciprocity with Georgia, such as Florida or Utah, and carry with that. Legally.

howlnmad, T. Bone and rawright54 like this.
  9. RatFink

RatFink Member

Washington will. Oregon will I think as well. I have both.

T. Bone likes this.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealreq.html

>How to apply
    What you need

Concealed Pistol License Application - Available at the website or at the location of your local law enforcement agency. See Where to apply below.
    Photo ID
    Valid state driver license or ID or
    If you are a permanent resident alien, bring your permanent resident card.
    If you have an alien firearms license, bring your original passport and US‑issued alien number or admission number.<

Since you have to be a resident to get that "valid STATE DRIVERS LICENSE or ID", and you need that to get a carry permit, how does a non-resident get a RESIDENT permit?

https://www.usacarry.com/oregon_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

The rules seem more complicated than necessary, but appear to say that they have both Resident and Non-Resident permits, but the NR permits are only issued to residents of adjoining states, and since it's up to the County Sheriff who gets a permit, some Sheriffs just won't issue Non-Resident.

But I don't see anyrhing that says a Resident of some other state can get an Oregon RESIDENT permit,

Could you show me a link?

T. Bone likes this.
  11. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

If NY does not have reciprocity with Georgia, you are out of luck. Many states have provisions for CCP's for out of state folks with valid CCP's from their state of residency if that state has reciprocity. For many states it boils down to where you are a resident because you pay state income tax & for no other reason. In Illinois, for example, to get an out of state permit you still need an Illinois FOID card which you cannot get if you don't have an IL. Drivers License, or state I.D card, period. Note that they don't say you can't get one, but the conditions make it legally impossible. My guess is that NY is as bad or worse.

T. Bone likes this.
  12. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

I like all the shared knowledge , yet what I don't understand is. Yes I have a valid N.Y. ccw permit , unconditional. I have info on classes to get a Utah permit. That would allow me to carry in states INCLUDING Georgia. So lol I know everything is about money. But already having my Georgia permit would be the same as a Utah permit. That's crazy , I can even go to Pennsylvania and get a permit that would also cover me in the few states that do not recognize my N.Y. CCW. I have read all the laws. The information I'm getting from this forum is about the same as what I have read. So basically I'm still confused ha. Thank you all and as with anything else I'm sure it's a great way for Utah to make a few bucks lol. Thanks again...

I can carry in Florida with my N.Y. permit. I know lots of snow birds that do. You just have to keep ammo and gun separately while traveling...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:29 PM
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

If you are no longer a legal resident of the state of Georgia, I seeno way of renewing your Ga permt. And as Alpo stated, they don't issue a nonresident permit.
    Try Florida for one.

T. Bone likes this.
  14. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

Thank you...!!

15. T. Bone

T. Bone Member

When I first moved to Georgia. I had to leave my N.Y. permit with the county clerk. Then got it back when I left Georgia. In N.Y. you don't have to renew your license. Georgia is every 5 years. A lady friend works for the clerks office in Georgia. The problem with the is we " dated " for a few days lol. Dam I messed that one up Lmao...

howlnmad likes this.