The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a semi finished rifle built on a Pete Grisel M98 action that I am finishing. The rifle is at least 25 yrs old. The rifle comes with Grisel one piece rings. I don't have a scope yet and am assuming I would have to have the factory disassemble the scope and slide the rings on. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
That's the way it's done, the bells have to be removed from the scope tube, and reassembled in a Nitrogen box. To do it right, the rings should be line honed, in place on the action. With the ring tightened after that, the OD of the scope tube, and the ID of the ring should have a specific tolerance. This is where a quality scope, is worth the money. A lot more work, but pays off when done, in accuracy. Make sure you post pics of the finished rifle!
Jerry, is this a double bridge action for those rings?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
If you're a Mauser fan, the Grisel action is one of the best evolutions of the 98. Everything you could want, small ring 98, double bridge receiver integral scope mounts, Win M-70 side swing safety, and old world style like a G&H. If my beer budget ever matched my champagne tastes, I would own one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trap55, Thanks for the advice. I think its a double square bridge action, here is a picture. I'll post some updates as it progresses. Right now the wood is mostly done and the metal is in Connecticut getting some engraving. Going to be
awhile.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Fine rifles take awhile, looking forward to the updates! First thing I want to see, is what you have for a stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is where I'm at with the stock. Added an ebony tip and grip cap. Went with a recoil pad because its a .300 win mag..

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
There's some wood that'll do it justice! Is the inlet on the butt for the Win 70 style sling swivel?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
If you don't have the sling swivels, the bad news is they aren't made anymore. The good news is, a good friend and stock maker had a couple dozen made, and just put some up for sale. If you're interested, I'll get you all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts