The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a Pro 1000 for 40 S/W today, and I would like to get the components to add 223 Rem to that. I know I need a #4 shell plate assembly, but do I need a 3 hole or a 4 hole turret? It seems to me that I need a three hole, for a sizing die, a seating die, and a crimping die - or am I off base? New to this, of course

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other question - I downloaded the manual and it is very adamant about not using Federal primers, which unfortunately are the ones I have on backorder. How seriously should I take that warning? Cancel the backorder and start looking for CCI / Winchester primers?

·
Super Moderator
47,183 Posts
I don't know anything about the Pro 1000 but I would go with the four die set of Lee, the set that has the Factory Crimp Die. So maybe you nee a four hole turret!

·
Super Moderator
47,183 Posts
On the Federal primers, they are very soft and on the Lee progressive presses have a tendency of going off. If you go very slow and make sure the primer seater and the primer pocket are perfectly lined up, you should not have a real problem with them. In my 40-+ years of reloading, only one primer has gone off on me and it was a Federal, so I don't use them, period!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have the Pro 1000 and I use the hand prime to prime the cases and then use the 3 hole set. I have nothing but good things to say about the presses. If there was one thing bad to say, the shell plate can be frustrating to change out for different calibers so I have a press for each caliber I load.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the dies though. Should I not have ordered a rifle charging die? I know I should have researched it better but the iron was hot at the time, so to speak. I have a Lee 4 die set on back order but for some reason I thought I also needed a charging die. If I can get a quick answer maybe its not too late to cancel the charging die

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Federal primers, they are very soft and on the Lee progressive presses have a tendency of going off. If you go very slow and make sure the primer seater and the primer pocket are perfectly lined up, you should not have a real problem with them. In my 40-+ years of reloading, only one primer has gone off on me and it was a Federal, so I don't use them, period!!
So if I use a hand priming tool that would make it safer, due to its easier to see what I'm doing? My LGS pretty much only Federal in small rifle. He has gold medal AR, and it is really tempting..

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
i ONLY hand prime and have never had a primer go off on me.

I use predominately winchester primers, but also cci, federal, remington and just recently... tula.. oh.. S&B as well.. forgot about those SR primers I got from them..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have two Lee 1000's one in .38 and one .45ACP. I removed the auto prime function when I got tired of clearing the constant jams. I hand prime, it gives me the chance to handle and inspect the brass and it also makes it easy to deal with .45 brass with both large and small primers, if I feel any resistance it's time to stop and check. I set the small primer 45's aside and when I next prime .38's do the 45's also. I also de-prime with a single stage Lee press. I tried just pulling the first stage die but the press didn't feel right so I pulled the de-prime pin and it works fine.

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
I have two Lee 1000's one in .38 and one .45ACP. I removed the auto prime function when I got tired of clearing the constant jams. I hand prime, it gives me the chance to handle and inspect the brass and it also makes it easy to deal with .45 brass with both large and small primers, if I feel any resistance it's time to stop and check. I set the small primer 45's aside and when I next prime .38's do the 45's also. I also de-prime with a single stage Lee press. I tried just pulling the first stage die but the press didn't feel right so I pulled the de-prime pin and it works fine.
i also deprime on a lee single stage. and yes.. hand priming does let you get to know the brass a lil more.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Federal primers have a history of going off in Progressives, and has been documented by both Lee and Dillon.
Hand prime only with Federal, and only one at a time, or limit your quantity in a hand primer like the Lee or RCBS, as there have been reports of them going off in those too. This is why I usually avoid Federal, and why it's the least poplular of the primers, as evidenced by the fact that they have sold last.
The PRO 1000 is a 3 stage system, for a 4 stage you need the Load Master.
You do need a rifle charging die, that's how the powder flows in.
I have been using the Pro for over 25 years, when running right I can do about 350 rds /hr in .223, and about 400+ in large pistol calibers.
But the Pro is NOT for everybody, it can be a finicky beast for the mechanically challenged, and requires patience and care in set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the Lee Pro 1000 for a while and have loaded 9mm, .380ACP and .32ACP. I wanted to load .223 but wasn't sure what dies to buy. I went straight to the source and emailed Lee. They sent back this:

The parts you would need to convert your press are as follows:
223 RBG Die Set - 90871
Rifle Charging Die - 90194
#4 Shell Plate - 90653
Rifle Case Feeder - 90663
Double Disk Kit - 90195
3-Hole Turret - 90497 (optional)

I loaded about 5 rounds and made sure they would cycle through my AR but I haven't had a chance to return.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.