Question about Mauser HSc 7.65mm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rickysanchez, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rickysanchez

rickysanchez New Member

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, but I am working on a fictional case for a Trial Class in Law School and had a question. The defendant in my case used a Mauser-Werke HSc 7.65 mm pistol to shoot his victim. The question is over whether it was accidental or not.

My question involves chambering a round and the hammer of the gun. I am relatively new to guns (which you can probably tell), but my question is when you chamber a round by pulling back on the slide which cocks the hammer, are you able to manually un-cock the gun yet keep the round in the chamber? T

he reason I ask is because the defendant shot the victim yet claims she grabbed his gun and he disarms her and accidentally shoots her. He claims she cocked the gun and turned the safety off before he accidentally pulled the trigger while the gun was in the air. In this hypothetical, he is a former police officer who had this as his personal gun. If his claims are perhaps true, am I correct in saying he would have had to have chambered a round and then manually un-cocked the gun only for her to re-cock the gun later? If that doesn't make sense I can try to rephrase. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

Hi Ricky
    The gun-HSc Mauser pistol is self cocking (that's what the HS part stands for in german). A more common term is "double action". This would be the same action as a police revolver. You would pick it up & if you pulled the trigger it would shoot. This is assuming there was a round in the chamber. There is not to my knowledge a way to "uncock" this gun. The gun cocks it's self as you pull the trigger. If he was familiar with this gun he was guilty of murder:eek:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

3. rickysanchez

rickysanchez New Member

Well as the prosecution in this case, I am hoping to nail him for first-degree murder (which is doubtful due to the lack of proof of deliberation), but we'll see. Maybe second-degree murder.

Thank you for the information on the gun. I wanted to know a little about the gun in case the defendant turns out to have a good background in firearms (we have to find our own witnesses so my luck he's a police officer or something). Thanks again!!

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the gun has an external hammer, then, generally, yes. You can work the slide to chamber a round, which will cock the hammer. Then you can, by holding onto the hammer spur and pulling the trigger, slowly let the hammer down. Some pistols of this type have what it called a "hammer drop safety", that, when you put the safety on, the firing pin will be blocked and the hammer dropped, so that the gun is no longer cocked. The very similar in appearance Walther PPK has this type safety, but the Mauser does not, so the hammer would have to be lowered manually. Also, the Mauser hammer spur is very small. I would be leary of manually lowering the hammer on a live round.

If I am reading your scenario correctly, the cop had taken the gun, chambered a round by pulling back the slide, and then lowering the hammer (which is what you wanted to know whether it was possible or not) and putting the safety on.

The girl took the gun away from him, took the safety off, and cocked the hammer (which is not needed to fire the gun, but does make for a much lighter trigger pull) in preparation to shooting the cop.

The girl and the cop struggle over the loaded, cocked gun that has the safety turned off, and in the process of recovering his gun from the girl, the cop accidentally shoots the girl. I'm not sure about your statement, "he accidentally pulled the trigger while the gun was in the air." It needed to be in someone's hand for that trigger to get pulled.

But, otherwise, this is absolutely possible.

5. rickysanchez

rickysanchez New Member

The police officer's (I failed to mention he's an ex-police officer since he resigned effective the morning of the shooting...yeh the facts they give in these problems are crazy) story is that the gun accidentally went off as his finger brushed the trigger as the gun was in the air. As the prosecution I'm trying to prove he shot her intentionally and there are alot of extra facts that come into play, which would take a very long time to try to explain. I was just curious about the operation of the Mauser because I wanted to be able to cross the defendant on the fact that he had a loaded weapon with a bullet in the chamber and "claims" she grabbed the gun and he knocked it in the air and then it went off.

I know most of this is a crazy hypothetical so I know it probably doesn't make alot of sense. I was just wanting to get some information on the operation of the gun to know whether it was possible to have a bullet in the chamber and the gun not be cocked. I appreciate all the information!!

6. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

This pistol would be difficult to just "brush" the trigger & have it go off. There would be a long pull of the trigger needed because it would be a "double action" pull. It would be the opposite of a hair trigger because the double action pull on the trigger "cocks" the gun as the trigger is pulled back.