The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
is this caliber a girls caliber because im a man and im thinking about getting a ruger .357 magnum 6 shot and i believe it also comes with another cartridge holder that holds 9mm shells i believe. also another question but i dont know if i asked this question already but does anybody know what kind of revolvers and what calibers of revolvers did doc holliday use back in the 1800's?

my wife is all for me buying the revolver.

if you go on the ruger website you will be impressed with the gun. i believe its called a blackhawk. it has like a 5 1/2 inch barrel with woodgrain grips and a stainless barrel.

thanks for the info and any advice

john

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
There is no such thing as a " girls caliber " doesn't exist. The 357 is a magnum caliber with a hefty recoil, accurate and a popular caliber. Ruger makes fine firearms and the Blackhawk has been around for a long time. One advantage of the .357, you can also fire the 38 special for practice. 38 Spl. wad cutters are a joy to shoot, accurate and low recoil. A 9MM cylinder would be nice but I don't see the need for it. No one knows just what guns Doc Holiday used in his career. He carried a shotgun at the alley by the OK corral, he might have been carrying a couple of Iver Johnson's, there were more of those used in the old west than Colts.:) No one really know what guns the Earp's carried. I have read writers who say Wyatt carried a S&W and others say he carried a Colt. Only thing that every one seems certain of , He didn't carry a Buntline. In the choice of a firearm, the most important question should be, What you going to use it for??

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
.357 ain't no slouch!

I would go with .41 or larger myself in the blackhawk or redhawk, but I love my GP100 and sp101's, very fine revolvers with beautiful triggers and dead on accurate. I don't think 9mm will work unless you send it back and have a conversion cylinder fitted for it.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you are speaking about a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible
.357magnum with a 9mm cylinder
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

The 9mm is .355 dia and the .357mag is .358 dia
It may seem close in diameter.
The 9mm option may look good.
If you are selecting the BN-34X or the BN-36X simply
because of the option to shoot 9mm.....let me say this
from experience....
The 9mm DOES NOT shoot that accurate from these two guns.

I, personally, would just get a Blackhawk without the 9mm cylinder
and shoot .38special in it.
It does an awesome job.
$800 seems awfully high priced.
Even a used .357 Blackhawk would be good, although not for me.
The new price vs used price is prolly not much different today.....generally.
These guns are such a tank, used is still good.

Pick your barrel length, and get a .357 and shoot you bunches of
mild .38's........and you will love it.
It shoots the .357mag's very well also.
A Ruger Blackhawk is a staple in my collection, hands down !

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
[it appears my post didn't post]

So,
I wouldn't bother with the 9mm cylinder
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

The 9mm doesn't shoot very accurate in mine.

Just get the .357mag [BN-34 or BN-36]
and shoot bunches of mild .38special.....still a great round.

Or even a Vaquero in .357 if you don't need adjustable sights.

These Blackhawks are kick-ass awesome.....if you like SA revolvers.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
John, you would be happy with the Ruger Blackhawk .357. It is a stout gun with adjustble sights and is very accurate. I like the fact that you can shoot .38 spl through it but as far as the 9mm I am not a fan of that caliber, especially shooting it through a SA revolver. The .357 is an excellent self defense round and is a fun round for rabbit hunting along with making a good weapon to pack on your side in the back country. Let us know if you get it and well need some pics of that beauty. :D

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
$800.00? I would hate to be buying guns where you buy guns from. No, let me restate that, I wouldnt buy guns there. If you pay that much for that gun, someone will be making a $300.00 profit off of you....

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah, $800 is very high.
Unless you just want the 9mm for nostalgia,
I wouldn't get it....not on purpose.
Mine don't shoot very accurate with the 9mm cylinder.
Shoot the mild .38special and the .357mag.....
and you will really love this gun if you like SA revolvers.
I am biased.....I would never be without a Blackhawk.
Even the .357 Vaquero is nice if you don't need adjustable sights.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
They just balance well
and built like tanks
and great triggers
and will outlast your great-grandkids

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Ruger Speed Six, Stainless Steel .357 Mag., and absolutely love shooting it. I believe it has either a 5 or 5-1/2" barrel, and like any Ruger wheel gun, they are built like a tank. If you are looking for SD weapon, I might sugest DA apposed to SA. Ruger's GP series are really great choice.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yup, $800 is way too much for the .357/9mm convertible Blackhawk.
One of the local shops here has em for $479 and Bud's has them listed for $499 (but out of stock). <--these are prices for the blued version. Stainless will be a bit higher but not $300.
I almost brought one home the day I picked up my GP100 but I didn't think I could justify two new Ruger .357s in one day. :)

The 9mm cylinder isn't of much use except as a way to shoot cheaper ammo (think russian steel case stuff) out of it. The .38/.357 cylinder will likely see the most use if you do go with the convertible.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I personally consider the .357 Mag to be one of the greatest all around calibers out there, from a standpoint of self defense and survival.
If you don't have a .357 in your collection, it's incomplete.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 6 1/2" Blackhawk 357/9mm convertable and I'm absolutely amazed at how accurate it is with CHEAP 9mm ammo, great for kids or recoil sensitive shooters. Save the 357 or 38 for other purposes. I'm a big fan of 357 magnums, it's hard to argue with their track record.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone for the advice to stay away from the 9mm cylinder, i didnt know about that. also as far as the price is concerned, i was just guessing because i was looking at the msrp on the ruger site and i never researched the price at gun dealers or on the internet which im going to do today. i figured i wasnt going to be spending that much since id be ordering it from bass pro shops, where i buy all my guns from.

that ruger in those photos is exactly what im talking about. also its the single action.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Blackhawk=Single action

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never heard the Term 357 being a Lady's Caliber.
The Texas Rangers as well as many other L.E.have issued 357 Revolvers.
As far as John Henry:
That is a Can Of Worms that has been opened on several occasions.
Based on what have read a Nickel Plated Colt Lighting is the Revolver mentioned the most times.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
When it first came out it was touted as to much gun for most men, it would rip their arms off. Well they got over that. S&W sent a pack of professional hunters to Alaska to go bear hunting with .357 magnum revolvers then printed up the stories. They sold a lot of .357 guns and a lot of people killed a lot of game with it including my first deer with a single six. However some men facing grizzly's discovered it was not a magic gun or bullet. and shooting a charging bear is different from hunting bear.

Don't know when the price is going to get reasonable again but if you can afford it I would get it and enjoy the living dickens out of it. Find the bullet weight it likes best and stock up on that round.

In my Dan Wesson I shoot a lot of 158's at 100 yards, 125 gr at 25 and 50 yards and a ton of 130 gr 38 spcl at SD ranges. I have lots of other guns but its to much fun to let sit getting dusty and it is my night table gun for that dark thirty at night bumping sound. I have to use different bullet weights because my gun doesn't have adjustable sights, I adjust the bullet weight for the range I will be shooting at.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The .357 125 grain is still at the top of one shot stops on humans. Like it was said in an earlier post, if you don't own a .357 then your collection isn't complete. I have three, two Smith model 686s and a Colt Python.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.