The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some new .223 brass and after resizing, the case lengths seem to run from anywhere between 1.753 to 1.756. Is it recommended to initially trim all this new brass down to 1.750? Or should I just wait until it reaches max case length during the usual course of shooting and reloading?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
570 Posts
I normally go ahead and trim all my new cases, but a lot of people dont. Are you planning on crimping these? If so, a uniform length will give a uniform crimp. If not, then its really up to you.

· Registered
10,062 Posts
jc15:

Don't trim until the fired brass exceeds the upper dimension. The trim-to length and max case length are the range of acceptable case length AFTER sizing.

When it come to crimping the cases, they should all be the same length to get uniform crimp results unless......

The best way to crimp rifle cases is with the LEE RIFLE Factory Crimp Die (FCD). The cases, if within the specified case length range, do not need to be trimmed to get that uniformity of crimp. The FCD crimps with a horizontal action in multiple places around the case (a collet closes horizontally in on the case) rather than with a vertically action as in regular crimp dies (which folds the end of the case into the bullet). The crimp is more uniform and doesn't bulge the case.

LDBennett

· Registered
19,355 Posts
i generally have started to trim mine to the upper edge of the case lenght, and trim em all for uniform roll crimp, where i roll crimp. don't happen to have a fcd for the 223 yet..... yet...

· Registered
815 Posts
Believe me when someone like, LD, soundguy or any others tell you to get the Lee FCD. Do it. I bought one and boy, its saves a head ache. No more smashed cases, or any other defects. That thing is great. I got one for .223, .300 win mag and I'm waiting on my 9mm( back ordered).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.