Question about Varmit Rifles

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Mar 18, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

jrandol
    (3/6/03 4:46:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Question about Varmit Rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello,
    New to varmit shooting and am looking to buy a rifle that can handle it. I will probably be shooting coyotes and praire dogs most often. I am mostly a shotgun shooter, so do not know very much about rifles.

I was thinking about the 22-250, but people have also told me that the 25-06 and 223 are good ones. What is a good rifle caliber and make for this type of shooting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    JR

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/6/03 8:01:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Question about Varmit Rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to TFF.

I like the range, speed and accuracy of the .22-250 for varmints. Check out Savage. Not the most expensive but the most accurate out of the box. IMHO.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/6/03 11:31:12 pm)
    All good choices - No moss growing on any of them.

The .223 Rem or the 22-250 would probably be better suited. The 25-06, while a deadly accurate cartridge, may be just a tad too much for normal coyote hunting. couldn't get mine to group with the lighter bullets normally considered for varmit hunting. Did wonders with the heaviest ones, though.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

jrandol
    (3/10/03 9:42:28 am)
    Thank you for the feedback.

JR