The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please explain to me why it is so hard to find .22 ammo? Have the manufacturers stopped making it? I know that there is a lot of uncertainty with gun issues right now. What is going on? I am looking for the truth.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
the only thing i can say is everyone is buying everything they can get their hands on and the demand is greater than the supply

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to find 4 boxes of Stingers at $6.99 a box. Cheaper than dirt had yellow jackets - 500 rounds at $43 +$17 shipping. That is way too high!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Can anyone please explain to me why it is so hard to find .22 ammo? Have the manufacturers stopped making it? I know that there is a lot of uncertainty with gun issues right now. What is going on? I am looking for the truth.
I was at Academey, Wal Mart, and Bass Pro yesterday, and not one single rd of .22LR ammo to be had in any of the stores. Some .22CB Shorts, but not much. I asked the manager at Academey if he thought they would get any ammo on the truck this morning, and his answer was a big fat NO. I think that the ammo industry is like the rifle inductry at this time. They don't want to be caught with a huge stock of envitory when the hammer falls. No detachable mags, no mags capacity of over 10 rds, and a cigerette tax on all ammo!

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I still have .22 in stock.I have not tried my suppliers to see if there is any available so I can't say anything about that.
But before the election I did stock up with as much ammo as I could find.
Mike

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
It look slike you can actually find the ammo , youre just not wanting to pay the gouged prices..

The hoarding of ammo and specific guns has hit an all time high, and the closer you go to the cities the worse it is. Cabelas, CTD store, MGS, Winchester gallery, all have been sold out of all types of ammo for about a week now. Most of the local stores that Im affiliated with are doing OK, all of them are out of ARs and AKs, but they manage to keep ammo in stock.

High prices are a result of the overwhelming demand and I am afraid they are here to stay.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I just checked my suppliers (4) of them and there is still plenty of ammo available and the prices have not gone up(yet).
They are out of some but as a hole they are in stock.
So I guess this means the price mark up is at the retail side not the wholesale side.(for now)
Mike

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Because guns are in high demand right now and they require ammo to function..

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I am seeing more of my customers asking for cases instead of box's.
This is for all calibers.
Mike

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
They are finally getting it.. Its always been cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet and buy a case lot of ammo.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
My problem is .308 ammo. I can buy the quality hunting ammo from several local sources, if I want to pay $1.75 - $2.00 per round, but stuff like the Monarch can not be had. Even the cheap Federal that sells for $17 a box of 20 can not be found. Hand gun ammo I got, .22LR I got, 30-30 ammo I got, but no where near enough .308!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
it has been my experiance that 22 lr is one of the first to disappear during a run
this happened during 08 also

that is why during the past few years, I bought a 500 round box nearly every payday
yeah...I'm set and don't need any

·
Registered
451 Posts
Could be that many of the new interest "assault rifle" purchases were in .22LR caliber. Prior to this run on firearms and ammo, those were sold around the $500 range and could be found easily. So, lots of folks who had no firearms, thus, no ammo, are buying it up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
1st time gun buyers very often want .22's. They want a gun w/no recoil. In '08, pawn/gun shops were cleaned out of virtually every kind of .22 handgun. And even the Heritage SA revolvers and Jimenez .22 semi-auto's that were $100. a pop in '07. Took price jumps into the $200. range.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
My problem is .308 ammo. I can buy the quality hunting ammo from several local sources, if I want to pay $1.75 - $2.00 per round, but stuff like the Monarch can not be had. Even the cheap Federal that sells for $17 a box of 20 can not be found. Hand gun ammo I got, .22LR I got, 30-30 ammo I got, but no where near enough .308!
I could help you out with that Myles.. All you need is to order a set of .308 dies and a trimmer for the cases.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts