The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband was in the Navy 1960-64. He was a machinists mate on the USS Colonial LSD-18. He has always said that he was on a recon team and besides Cuba in 1962, he was also in Vietnam in 1963 or early 1964. He has many chronic illnesses and his memory is bad. He said his team was flown in and out of VN and he says little beyond that. I did find in his paperwork a 5511-14 form. This is a Security Termination Statement and it does seem odd to me that if he were not involved in some sort of classified job, then why would he have this signed form in his records. Vietnam is nowhere in his records and I don't know if I should pursue this bunny trail and try to see if there is a classified record on him or not. If it were not for this form and the severe ptsd he has, I would have to question his statements that he was really in country on some sort of mission with the recon team. He has said he was not a SEAL, just a recon team member. Give me your thoughts on this and thanks in advance for any and all replies! And thank you all for your service to this great country!!

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
A member who goes by the handle Rooter may be able to help you. While I was Navy, I was an East Coast and Atlantic Fleet aviator...I did get to Vietnam, but with PanAm while flying in and out of that area in the late 60's, earl7n 70's..

·
Super Moderator
41,377 Posts
Yep. what Clipper said. Rooter usually shows up to the forum early in the mornings. He will possibly be able to answer your question.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
It happens in the service a Classification Termination notice. I had one done on me for 2 reasons. 1. I changed rates and didn't need the security clearance. 2. because of spies in our government (walker case). The military cracked down on security clearances. I changed rates from a YN (Yeoman) to and EN (Engineman). So I didn't need a higher security clearance. Personally i wouldn't be concerned about this notice. It doesn't mean your husband did anything wrong. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Until Chief ("Rooter") comes along - just a couple chirps out of me. Tell your husband "Thanks!" for his service to the Country. The Navy was in major transition about the time he was in service, so his records might not be complete. Even under the best of circumstances, military records are often lacking information. I was an Army E-6 'over 12 years' for pay, but when I got out the clerks put "9 years, 11 months and 28 days" on my DD-214 to keep me from collecting any retirement.

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
9,663 Posts
Here's my guess. He was probably flown to a forward operatiing base at that time when we were'nt supposed to have anybody on the ground except for those few designated "advisors". Members of the team he supported probably ran into something they weren't supposed to know about, hence the quick distribution, and later removal of the classified forms, probly given during a briefing where they were advised of the consequences of divulging classified info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my guess. He was probably flown to a forward operatiing base at that time when we were'nt supposed to have anybody on the ground except for those few designated "advisors". Members of the team he supported probably ran into something they weren't supposed to know about, hence the quick distribution, and later removal of the classified forms, probly given during a briefing where they were advised of the consequences of divulging classified info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all you who have replied so far! The security termination form was signed and dated the same day that he left active duty. He said a while back that DaNang kept coming to mind but he couldn't be sure. I just wish that I could find that he was "boots" there. I don't need to know what he was doing, just that he was there, if he truly was. The rest of the story can be kept in classified files if they need to. We will see what Rooter says.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,120 Posts
Good Morning Sandy and welcome on board...I am pleased that so many of the troops stepped
up to aid and assist with information and further pleased with adding that perhaps I could offer
some information ...Yeah, I am ROOTER...not having a single thing to do with my military but
later in civilian life when I had my own drain cleaning business, hence ROOTER. The county of
Maricopa Arizona assigned me that handle when I was employed by them and needed an ID
for the computer operation...Sandy, I often use the term "clandestine" as I write about past
events and things rather secretative...with my long life and often tasks and duties involving the 'toppest' of top-secret clearances there were still things I wasn't cognizant of and about...For
instance in 1963 with duty in a naval construction battalion on the Pacific island of Okinawa..my battalion was the designated alert or mount-out battalion attached to the Camp Hague Marine
forces...if the event the "stuff" were to hit the fan, we would activate and go with the "Jar-Heads"! In November when President Kennedy was murdered back in Texas, you can't even imagine the tumult and the shouting that went on what we were supposed and expected to do for our mounting out to fight some body, somewhere on the planet, not knowing who!
During that 1963 period may have been like a similar time you are seeking about your husband's type of clandestine duty...we were there the entire year.Just suddenly one of my company personnel wouldn't be there at muster...not just for that day, but days or weeks on end sometimes...it happened in all of the companies and it remained as classified (not to discuss) for all time...secretive. Things had not come to a critical stage in Laos or Vietnam yet in 1963..perhaps that's where they went for whatever reasons...perhaps to determine and ascertain what gear or equipment was going to be needed if the stuff began hitting the fan!
Things come to a head in late November 1963 and our alert battalion duties were relieved and
we rotated back to the world...I got orders to teach concepts of NBC warfare and was not
associated with that area of the world again until 1967 when I rec'd orders to Vietnam and
the TET OFFENSIVE of 1968...The highest enlisted rank of E-9 was offered to me in late 1969
if I were to volunteer to return to Country for a 3rd tour. I remained the rank I was of Senior
Chief and retired with 22 years of constructive service having actually served less than 20
because I had re-enlisted early every time one tour was over...
Forgive me Sandy if I seem to have evaded in any way information that may have helped you and also to the troops here that may have been lead to think I was the 'mover and shaker' I
have often seemed to have claimed being.. Good Luck and do feel free at any time when a
situation may arise that you'd think I was able to help with...Best regards, Chief (Rooter)

·
26,120 Posts
Sandy, 'tis Rooter again.....To review your original post, I noted the naval vessel your
husband served on was an LSD...(LANDING SHIP DOCK)...Again, for that word 'clandestine'..
Similar operations occurred with the Marines in 1965 (or earlier) with the amphibious type
landings in DaNang with the use of LST's (LANDING SHIP BATTLE-TANKS)... Again, with any
supposition made other than what we know, perhaps your husband had 'boots-on-the-deck'
of those naval ships....an LSD was there and surely he'd have been able to venture on the
beach as a rated crew man....again, good luck. Chief

[PDF]U.S. Marines in Vietnam - The Landing and the Building - 1965 PCN ...
1965 by. Jack Shulimson and. Major Charles M. Johnson, USMC. HISTORY AND MUSEUMS DIVISION. HEADQUARTERS, U.S. MARINE CORPS. WASHINGTON, D.C. ... most corps area, I Corps, and their mission expanded from defense of the Da Nang Airbase ...... landing ship USS Vernon County (LST1161) at Da.

[paste:font size="4"][PDF]U.S. Marines in Vietnam - The Landing and the Building - 1965 PCN ... U.S. Marines in Vietnam - The Landing and the Building - 1965 PCN ...

www.marines.mil/.../U.S.%20Marines%20in%20Vietnam_The%20Landing%20and%20t...
panies, one each from the Da Nang and Phu Bai enclaves, were flown in to ... Once over the horizon, theships changed course to the southwest ... landing beach. There a VC force, entrenched on a hill overlooking the Marine positions, blocked the advance of the company. Lieutenant Colonel Muir, who had established his ...

·
26,120 Posts
Sandy, as an added bit of info being that you mentioned his being absent minded and
frail in other respects...Check out the effects of AGENT ORANGE during those periods..
There have been many VA changes made to the so-called 'BLUE-WATER NAVY' not
being excluded from effects rating treatment via the Vets Admin. Chief

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sandy'
The following was copied from the official list of ships that qualify for Agent Orange benefits by being in or near Vietnam during that period.

USS Colonial (LSD-18) travelled up Saigon River to Nha Be during April 1966 and June and September 1969 (see other category)

USS Colonial (LSD-18) conducted numerous troop, supply, and equipment landings at Da Nang, Chu Lai, and Vung Tau from March 1966 to September 1969 (see other category)

It seems that the Navy doesn't recognize that Ship as having served during the time he was aboard. Unless you could prove to them that he served he would not qualify for benefits.

Reactions: flboots

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rooter , thanks so much for your info. You mentioned that sometimes a man would just not be around for a day or two or longer and I think that was how it was for Joel (my husband). I know there were lots of others involved in these "secret and classified" missions so there have got to any number of guys still around that could use some sort of proof that they were in 'Nam, or just offshore. So, I'm guessing my husband and others who were involved in these activities are just SOL as far as any help with Agent Orange benefits. Joel does have a 30% disability for asbestosis and has COPD and several other chronic illnesses. His PTSD has not ever been addressed but it is still very much a part of him. We may address that with his VA doctor at his next visit. What I was hoping for was to qualify him for the Aid & Attendance but because his ship was not in the waters off Vietnam until 2 months after he got off, that disqualifies him. I have quit work to stay home and take care for him as long as possible and its making the financial situation pretty tight! You guys have all been great to let me know your thoughts and I can't say thanks enough. I will contemplate what our next move may be and if I think there is any way to pursue this. And I am going to keep looking at the posts on this site...its very interesting to hear everyone's stories from Vietnam. I graduated HS in 1968 and remember it all too well. I joined the National Guard some 9 years later, after the war had ended. My thoughts are with you all and what that war did to so many of our young American men, and women.

·
26,120 Posts
Good Evening Sandy...I am glad you got a degree of satisfaction from your inquiry
however not ever enough because the military acts as the military does in its own
stubborn fashion and self-serving ways...Like I related to you during those secretive
times on Okinawa in 1963, capped off the most terrible of all with the President of
our country assassinated almost within days of the President of South Vietnam going
the same manner...Still today those inquiries and it remains as elusive as any other
action inquired about. Chief (Rooter)

[paste:font size="4"]The other assassination of 1963 | New York Post
Nov 16, 2013 - But President Kennedy's was not the only assassination that month that would have huge consequences for Americans. Scarcely three weeks earlier, Ngo Dinh Diem, president of South Vietnam, was murdered along with his brother, Ngo Dinh Nhu, by generals leading a coup. The coup andassassination ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts