question for tranterUK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 38 special, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Tranter, Do you have billberries over there? I heard that the R.A.F. ate them for better eyesight. Is there any truth to this? I have had some eye problems and wonder if billberries are similar to our blueberries and if you've heard anything about this? Thanks for your reply in advance.

2. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

3. SARG

SARG Member

I can vouch that the billberry deal does improve night vision. In 1997 I had the lasik procedure done in Montreal. One of the issues was diminished night vision......... the billberry does indeed help.

I still occasionally take it today.

4. 38 special

38 special New Member

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I didn't check the authenticity or anything of that article, just thought it might be helpful :D

6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Apologies for not replying to you sooner 38, time difference plus German guest plus return of daughter (from USA) equals less time on computer, and at work!

The RAF pilots in WW2 if shot down and captured were told to say it was eating carrots that improved night vision. Radar, which we invented in WW2 was a real help in intercepting enemy night raids, and was a closely guarded secret. The German pilots were shocked at how our fighters were always in the right place at the right time, in the dark. The story put out was carrots. A story that took root (no pun intended) and even in my childhood I was told to eat lots of carrots, to help me see better in the dark.

So, but for the obvious benefit of eating fresh vegetables, no truth there. As for Billberries. What the heck are they? :)

7. 38 special

38 special New Member

Thanks for the enlightening information. I did not know that the British invented radar and never knew about the carrot story. Yes I remember my mother telling me to eat my carrots because they were good for my eyes.
    I'll have to tell her about this history.
    I read an article that said the RAF ate billberries for better night vision and I just assumed these billberries grew wild all over England. But if you havent heard of them then apparently that's not the case. Ive been eating alot of blueberries which are supposedly similar to billberries which are said to improve vision. Maybe the billberry story is just a spin off from the carrot.
    Thanks again.
    There is something else I've wanted to ask: This may be a stupid question but no one at work really knew. If you live in England and are of English descent,do you usually say you are English or British? Do you consider the two synonymous?

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Not stupid at all 38. It can be confusing. To be British is to include England Wales and Scotland, Britain. To a Scotsman, I am English, being born in London. We will both be British.

What do we say we are? depends on the moment and company, I for example am both British, and an Englishman. According to my foreign friends, very much so.

I hope that helps.

PS If you think I forgot Northern Ireland, that sort of depends on your politics, but it is part of the UK, United Kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  9. Actually, it's neither the billberries nor the carrots, per se, that help night vision. Rather, it's the fact that both of these foods are very high in Vitamin A. Vitamin A supplements will indeed help improve night vision, or so I was told by an ophthalmologist once. :D