The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I want to ask the legality on changes to shotguns.

I would like to own a short barrel shotgun. My understanding is that most federal or state laws only permit the barrel length for a shotgun to be 18 inches.

So, for argument's sake, if I were to purchase a full length double barrel shotgun, then use a reciprocating saw to cut the barrel down to less than 18" in a manner to make it shorter and have a wider spread, would the act of making such a weapon be illegal or would the act of owning such a weapon in and of itself be a crime? So, in another way of putting it, would the act of modifying the shotgun to make it shorter be a crime in and of itself or, conversely, simply owning such a weapon be a crime, or both?
thanks

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Both.

You have to ask the governments permission, pay them $200.00 and if they say yes and send you the papers then and only then can you cut it legally.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
An 18.5” barrel on a break action shotgun is awful short, not sure why you’d need to go any shorter. I gotta say your question in itself is troubling. And as far as legalities I have a question for you. If it’s illegal to possess a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18” how in the world would you cut the barrel and avoid having it in your possession?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I want to ask the legality on changes to shotguns.

I would like to own a short barrel shotgun. My understanding is that most federal or state laws only permit the barrel length for a shotgun to be 18 inches.

So, for argument's sake, if I were to purchase a full length double barrel shotgun, then use a reciprocating saw to cut the barrel down to less than 18" in a manner to make it shorter and have a wider spread, would the act of making such a weapon be illegal or would the act of owning such a weapon in and of itself be a crime? So, in another way of putting it, would the act of modifying the shotgun to make it shorter be a crime in and of itself or, conversely, simply owning such a weapon be a crime, or both?
thanks
While many of us on here will gladly offer legal advice, my advice is to get professional help.

You COULD go to the ATF and ask them, but then your project would attract intense scrunity, and possibly even trigger a false flag advisor who would be only too happy to entrap you in an illegal act.

The other option would be to hire a private attorney to advise you. Good luck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
While many of us on here will gladly offer legal advice, my advice is to get professional help.

You COULD go to the ATF and ask them, but then your project would attract intense scrunity, and possibly even trigger a false flag advisor who would be only too happy to entrap you in an illegal act.

The other option would be to hire a private attorney to advise you. Good luck.
Look up the Randy Weaver story. Entrapments do happen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is a black powder double barreled 12 guage shotgun with 9" or 12" barrels. It is called the "Diablo"

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
…….and when we say “wait for your tax stamp” that’s running around a year and a half at the moment so I hope you’re a patient person.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.