The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, one thing that I cannot figure out is on my Hornady seat die, and with most my different calibers, it seems that as time progresses and my dies get broke in more that when I am coming down from the seat position the seater plug gets pulled out from the die body. I have put in new c-clips, and have tried swapping the die plug but now, like for example on my 44 mag/spl die set the plug gets pulled out about every 3rd descent. My .357 plug comes out almost every time. Keep in mind, my dies are cleaned exactly as Hornady has recommended, and I have this problem whether the brass is lubed or not lubed. Also, it seems I have become much more bald because of this so now JLA is much better looking then me. Can someone help before I am a total chrome dome. How about you Everett??? You use Hornady.

Thanks guys.

P.S. Help the bald guy out, could ya?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Wow, I don't see how that could happen with my seater dies. The plugs have a ridge around the top that prevents them from coming out and you could not drive them out with a hammer and punch. Maybe your dies are an earlier design or I don't understand what you are saying?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have to say that I've never had that problem with any of my Hornady seaters and I've had a couple of those new Dimension sets for right at 20 years now.

Take a look at your cir-clips. Is the little tail on the clip bent one direction or the other or is it flat to the rest of the clip? I wouldn't think that all of your spare clips are bent up enough to allow the sleeve to pop out of the die though...maybe one after a lot of use.

About the only other thing I can think of that might cause the sleeve to pop past the clip would be if there's a dirt buildup on the bottom ledge of the sleeve where the clip is supposed to catch it.
Also check the groove in the die body to see if there's crud built up in there. That might keep the clip from fully seating in the groove so there is less tail poking through the hole to catch the sleeve.

BTW...from one bald guy to another...
It's the Lee dies that will make you pull your hair out. You're picking on the wrong red dies. :D

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to say that I've never had that problem with any of my Hornady seaters and I've had a couple of those new Dimension sets for right at 20 years now.

Take a look at your cir-clips. Is the little tail on the clip bent one direction or the other or is it flat to the rest of the clip? I wouldn't think that all of your spare clips are bent up enough to allow the sleeve to pop out of the die though...maybe one after a lot of use.

About the only other thing I can think of that might cause the sleeve to pop past the clip would be if there's a dirt buildup on the bottom ledge of the sleeve where the clip is supposed to catch it.
Also check the groove in the die body to see if there's crud built up in there. That might keep the clip from fully seating in the groove so there is less tail poking through the hole to catch the sleeve.

BTW...from one bald guy to another...
It's the Lee dies that will make you pull your hair out. You're picking on the wrong red dies. :D
Your so funny. I bought all ofmy dies within the same time period, like within two months. I will call Hornady because they all do it. Maybe I will send a box into them and they can look at them. As for what you suggested, I checked all of that. I am down to thinking that my c-clips are a little short on the inside of the die.

Thanks Mr. Bald guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts