QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PRICING?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by idaho72, Feb 14, 2016.

1. idaho72

idaho72 New Member

We probably will never again see a brick of .22 rimfire going for $7.50 as we did decades ago.
    We also all understand that the cost of all cartridge components has increased noticeably in recent times.

The question I've never seen asked or answered is:
    Just how much are the ammunition companies charging for a case of this stuff?

Also:
    Are they up 4 to 8 times the pricing of the 2002 period?

If anyone knows the answer to those, I'd like to see it.

2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know cost of most things go up over time due to inflation, cost of labor, cost of materials, government regulations. All manufacturers of ammo and firearms are under attack from your good old US Government and as such, it increases the price of doing business.
    If you don't like the prices, just wait until 10 years from now, then you will really like them. My advice is, don't worry about the price today and stock up as much as you can now, because in 10 years it will be much, much, much worse.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Going rate right now for a brick of Remington Golden is $36.00. I don't think they'll ever get any cheaper. To RC's point, buy it now at $36 or wait 10 years and buy it at $80.

accident likes this.
  4. greggs

greggs Well-Known Member

As long as there's a democrat breathing, ammo is going to go up ! ,,,,, Gregg

gunnut1215, dbcooper, flboots and 3 others like this.
  5. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree.Buy what you can,when you can without concern of todays prices.If you don't like the prices today and don't buy any, wait and see what you'll be facing in 2026 when your out of ammo.

dbcooper and joe45c like this.
  6. idaho72

idaho72 New Member

Thank you for the econ lesson.
    I have a degree in Finance, so that part was covered before the question was asked.
    The question pertains to increased in FACTORY pricing to distributors and or retailers.
    Thank you

7. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

???????????????????? I don't have a "degree in economics" so I'm unqualified to answer your question.....Whatever that is.

8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Regardless of anyone's education the cost of 22LR ammo today is due to demand. The demand is due to the fear of Obama and the liberal progressive Democrats who would limit your ammo and guns and eventually take away both. Obama feels no duty to follow the Constitution and the gun grabbing liberals think they know what is good for you better than you do. Until both are replaced, 22LR ammo will be in short supply and priced high. Unfortunately when pricing goes up it rarely comes down later. For that you can blame the ammo manufacturers, distributor, and sellers.

LDBennett

9. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm obviously not near smart enough to participate in this thread. I'm glad LD stepped in to help us all out.

My suggestion would be to befriend an owner of an LGS by not being a jackass and ask him what his supplier charges him.

My suspicion is that it's like a lot of things and the price is doubled with each hand that touches it. But you already knew that I'm sure. Darn! I voiced an opinion without having an MBA.

10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would bet the price to the retailer has not gone up much. His supply had gone down substantially.

joe45c likes this.
  11. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I would love to see the manufacturing cost for guns and ammo. The raw material costs for making ammo has come down significantly. Prices for brass, lead, copper, and the chemicals needed to make powder and primers have all come down as the price of oil decreased. I don't know for sure but I suspect profit margins for ammo manufacturers are at historic highs. If you have any doubts about that check out their stock prices. The holly grail of manufacturing is raw material prices go down and sales prices go up. It's the same for any industry.

accident and joe45c like this.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you had a backlog of your product orders and all were sold before you could deliver , wouldn't you jack the prices up until that backlog disappeared? It is supply and demand. The demand is huge right now for 22LR in particular. Will the pricing go down in the future? It will when the manufacturer can no longer sell his product at the high price. Business are in-business to make money. If they are a corporation it is their fiduciary responsibility to their stock holders to maximize the profits and distribute dividend to stock holders. Sorry but that is the way capitalism works. I too wish the pricing followed the cost but it just doesn't work that way today.

LDBennett

accident likes this.
  13. georgerc

georgerc Well-Known Member

35 for 500 that works out to 7c? yeah that's right, not sure what's going on but about a month or 2 I happened to be at wall mart early in the morning, just as I thought they don't carry 22 anymore, if memory serves I picked u a brick od Winchester white box 18 for 333, that works out a bit better, they had several there, I was actually looking for 38 specials than I noticed the old farts and one actually knew the teller by first name.

so anyways that is about as low as retail gets these days, I would assume the cost of manufacture is not much less below that, on the other hand look at it this way, say you flip burgers at Mcdonalds for a couple hours, saw an add they start at 10.50 now, that will buy you a brick at Walmart, if you can find it ( dumbass me I forgot what day and time that was, I may have paid with a card thou ), the real question is how long will it take you to reload or manufacture 333 rounds otherwise, if you look at it that way 22 ammo is pretty cheap.

I have also noticed several fair ads on armslist locally, bucket of bullets for about 110, some open for as low as 90 apparently this variety is finicky with some guns, various bricks around 8c/round, I stopped by again recently this was a Wednesday morning 5am before work, nothing, not even a price tag.

I think this is a brief period where one can find some fair deals whatever that price is, I'm keeping my eyes open, I wont buy overpriced ammo in principle and that has a lot to do with price increases.

here a question for the financial brains? instead of wondering about manufacturer direct pricing, does anyone know how to go about buying manufacturer direct? any special licensing? minimum order? group buy anyone? say 5000 rounds each I'm sure there would be say 100 takers around here, do the math, make some calls and that should get you a deal