Questions for my .22 loving brothers...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Crpdeth, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

33 feet. I know that I can shoot .22LR farther, but I am looking for squirrel head size shots. Besides, energy starts dropping closer than I can shoot.

2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, guys... Like many of you I enjoy the challenge (and probably just the very idea of being diametrically polar to everyday gun owners) of longer range pistol shooting. While reading through various forums laid out for firearm aficionados I do find many (roughly half the responses) folks who enjoy the same, but the one thing I have to remember is that this is from a pool of true enthusiasts, not your every day guy who loves shooting, but doesn't live it.
    I truly feel that the longer the distance, the more you hone your skills... Not that it will ever be a practical skill to have for most people, but the age old adage applies, "aim small, miss small". Then when I walk up to 15 yards to shoot along side a buddy, or attend our yearly, family pistol competition, I almost feel like I'm cheating.

Hey friend...

I've had the same responses... A very sports oriented, competitive, couple who are friends of ours took us out to their rock quarry where we sat up a steel target and drove up the hill and I started getting my ol' Colt .45 1911 ready and he said "We shooting pistols first? If I knew that I'd have stopped down there", lol, he was really surprised and a bit upset that he couldn't follow along... Oh well, he can probably throw a football better than me. Hahaha!

BlackEagle and Broot like this.

3. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

The target distance depends on what I'm doing that day.

If I'm practicing with one of my self defense pistols,,,
    Or rather the .22 rimfire version of them,,,
    I'm at 3-7-10 yards.

I always have the 21' Tueller distance in mind,,,
    Three rounds at 10, three at 7, and the rest at 3 yards.

If I'm plinking away with one of my target style rimfire pistols,,,
    Such as the Buckmark, Ruger MK's, or NEOS,,,
    It's almost always at 25 yards.

With spinner targets or clay pigeons.

Aarond

BlackEagle and Crpdeth like this.
  4. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Whenever I go home to visit pops and my brothers we always head out where they have land, very isolated and we get to shoot long distance. I normally take my Buckmark or Kel-tec and shoot golf balls with the buck mark at about 80 yards. It is easy to do because they are on the ground and you can see where the bullet strikes and adjust accordingly. With the Kel-tec I've shot it at 150 give or take a couple of yards and use clay targets. Once again it is easy because the backround is a large sand dune and you can see the bullet strikes. This is our shooting range.

P1000082.jpg

5. Millerman

Millerman New Member

What is slow fire comp?

Nice! Looks like a great place to shoot!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020
    BlackEagle likes this.
  6. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

It is great for shooting but not hunting. When my brothers bought the land they never saw the signs for mountain lions. That place is full of predators so the deer is scarce there. But we do have great weekends camping out and grilling steaks and just plain shooting.

BlackEagle likes this.
  7. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Slow fire pistol competition is a form of slow fire target shooting using only one hand.
    The targets are set at 25 yards. Most shooters that enter this type of competition also go into the slow fire three gun competition which consists of three pistols . It would be three spaced calibers (small medium and large )such as 22,32acp, and 38. Most of the time I would use 32acp,9mm,45acp. I think if may be one of the hardest shooting matches to be in.

In all my years of shooting, I have only once shot a 10X in competition. That's firing ten rounds with one hand at 25 yards. And putting all ten rounds into into the center X which is about the size of a dime. It's easy with a rifle, but kind of hard with a hand gun.:)

BlackEagle likes this.
  8. Millerman

Millerman New Member

Thanks for the explanation. I will have to try that!

Making memories with family is priceless! I have some great memories target shooting with my grandpa before he passed I’ll treasure forever!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020
    ms6852 and BlackEagle like this.