The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input before I purchase my first single stage press.
I noticed that Hornady and Lee make a quick change die system. Does the RCBS die changing process require that much more time to recalibrate or adjust, every time you re insert it ?
Does RCBS have a quick change system in development that you have heard about ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Fostner presses are as fast as you can get for changing a die. Slip one out, slip the next in. For progressives, you can't beat Dillon.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I noticed that Hornady and Lee make a quick change die system. Does the RCBS die changing process require that much more time to recalibrate or adjust, every time you re insert it ?

Thanks
Hornady sells a threaded adapter called a "conversions bushing" that fits in your RCBS press that allows you to use the quick change bushings, i really like them...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the LEE breech lock but only the one so I just swap and reset like you would with RCBS. It looks like it would be a great idea but I'll have to save up the money fer it and I'd rather buy primers and such. And I don't mind havin to set em up each time as that keeps me in practice fer if I am usin someone else's press I.E. I'm teachin my dad.

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
I don't understand the perceived "NEED" for it.

I screw my sizing die into my press. Resize 100 cases. Unscrew the sizing die. That takes, maybe, ten seconds. Screw in the belling die. That takes another ten seconds.

Wow. It took me a MASSIVE twenty seconds to change dies. Good thing I got that new "instant change" system.

So now I can UNLOCK AND REMOVE my sizing die, which takes two seconds, and PUT IN AND LOCK my belling die, which takes two seconds.

OH WOW!!! GOLLY GOSH GEE!!! I SAVED A WHOLE SIXTEEN SECONDS CHANGING THE DIES OUT!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Is your life so full that you need to save that sixteen seconds?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the Lee 4-hole Turret Press. I have multiple die heads and I keep all of the dies setup for each caliber. My pistol dies even keep the Lee Powder Measure attached. Once I get a lad developed that shoots well the dies and powder drop stays set. Just have to put the turret on, add powder and change shell holder.

·
Premium Member
18,796 Posts
I have the hornady quick change lock and load system, like the one that caneman pictured for my RCBS rockchucker press. You have to remove the threaded insert in your press that the dies currently thread into and replace it with the part that caneman pictured. Then you have to buy the die bushings for each die you own. I think the bushings come in sets of 3 or 10, or you can buy them indvigually.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had nothing but issues with the Hornady quick change bushings. It sounds like a great idea but if they don't work as designed it suks.

I own a Dillon and I'll never buy another Hornady product - too many bad quality control issues.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I have the Lee 4-hole Turret Press. I have multiple die heads and I keep all of the dies setup for each caliber. My pistol dies even keep the Lee Powder Measure attached. Once I get a lad developed that shoots well the dies and powder drop stays set. Just have to put the turret on, add powder and change shell holder.
I use the Lee 3 hole turret press, and I set up my dies in a turret. One set of dies for .38, and another for .357, etc. Turn the turret, lift out the turret, and dies, set in the turret, and dies that want to use next, and reload. About 2 seconds.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

Thanks
If your die's lock rings are in good working order, you only need to adjust your dies one time...the first time you thread them into your press. After that, unthread the dies and put em back in your storage box when you're done. Next time you grab them they will still be adjusted properly.

Like Alpo, I just don't see the need for any of those artillery lug style "quick-change" systems on a single-stage press. Now on a progressive like the Dillon...yeah I think it might be handy just to swap in a new tool head and be up and running instead of having to load up 3 or 4 dies.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a RockChucker and use the Hornady LNL system.

Works great. I like it.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
I don't understand the perceived "NEED" for it.

I screw my sizing die into my press. Resize 100 cases. Unscrew the sizing die. That takes, maybe, ten seconds. Screw in the belling die. That takes another ten seconds.

Wow. It took me a MASSIVE twenty seconds to change dies. Good thing I got that new "instant change" system.

So now I can UNLOCK AND REMOVE my sizing die, which takes two seconds, and PUT IN AND LOCK my belling die, which takes two seconds.

OH WOW!!! GOLLY GOSH GEE!!! I SAVED A WHOLE SIXTEEN SECONDS CHANGING THE DIES OUT!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Is your life so full that you need to save that sixteen seconds?

I agree however I will tell you why I like my quick change dies. When I go out to the desert I collect all the bras I can grab. I take it back and begin resizing/depriming. I will have many different calibers and I try to group them all and I try to do one at a time but as it always seems when I think I have all the .38 special done and start 9mm I get going and find some more .38's. So I can finish the 9mm and switch back to the 38's, and so on. The quick change makes that job easier to where I don't have to sort before resize. Then, once done I have them separated and am ready to tumble. That is when I utilize the LNL feature. Past that, I change my dies out each time. Some guys leave the bushings attached to the die when they put the dies away, but I don't. I break them down ecch time.

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
>When I go out to the desert I collect all the bras I can grab.<

Does your missus get upset when you bring back all them bras? Do the gals get upset when you grab 'em.

Enquiring minds wanna know.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
>When I go out to the desert I collect all the bras I can grab.<

Does your missus get upset when you bring back all them bras? Do the gals get upset when you grab 'em.

Enquiring minds wanna know.
Bras and quick change. Alpo, your killing me in Idaho. :D

BRASS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just received some of the quick change dies for my lee presses. I have two turrwt presses and two single stage presses. Hope the quick change dies work out for me.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
To answer your question, NO it doesn't take a lot of time to re-insert a die and adjust it (what equipment I use isn't relevant to your question:p ). Actually for a beginner, I'd suggest you learn to adjust dies rather than set-it-and-ferget-it bushings and/or turrets. You will at some time early in your reloading have some rounds that won't chamber or need a better/different crimp, or just don't look right and you'll have to troubleshoot your reloading set-up. If you don't know how to adjust dies (and know what happens when you move dies, up/down) you'll have a heck of a time finding out the problem. Knowing how ammo/brass reacts to die adjustments is necessary to fixing questionable reloads. Besides, even as a "seasoned" reloader it only takes me 2 minutes to install/adjust a seating die, less for a size/decap die...:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally like the quick change dies, I use two breech lock Lee presses and love them. I usually swap the dies out and verify they are still where I need them to be and get started. I use these two for low quantity runs of .45 colt, .223, .308 and also to run small batches of test loads for my pistol calibers as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts