Rabbit hunters of the world (an Texas)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 7:16:13 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Rabbit hunters of the world (an Texas)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Enlighten me. U aint gonna think I'm serious about this but I am. Talking to an old buddy this am an he had been deer hunting since the season opened (last Nov), hadn't got a shot yet so switched to fezants an rabbits. This a.m. he tells me , with a straight face, he shot a jackrabbit Sat. that weighed 18 pounds!!. This is possible ? This is a rabbit.? In New Jersey no less. I took another sip of jamoke an politely inquired if somebodys pet baby kangaroo got loose. Man if I ever saw somepin like that I would want a 45-90, no dam 12 bore. I guess these suckers get kinda big out west( yeah I no everything is bigger in Texas) but 18 POUNDS??? An this dude swore up an down it was for real

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/02 7:29:36 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Rabbit hunters of the world (an Texas)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He would be full of crap I would say.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/02 8:00:03 pm)
    Don`t know about the cottontails up there, out there...where ever....but we got`s a rabbit down here, in the bottoms....refered to as "SWAMP RABBITS" they can.....er.....well flat footed, anyway. Knock a 4wheeler in a ditch, ifin ya hits one....cause they ain`t a movin fer ya. LTS

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/02 8:11:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Rabbit hunters of the world (an Texas)
    ibtrukn - don't know about New Jersey (as in having a jack rabbit population) but rabbits can and do get that big.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/02 8:19:58 pm)
    LTS, that shore is one heck of a rabitt, must be a Texas bunny.
    cointoss2

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/02 8:57:31 pm)
    Yep, looks like a Wyoming Jack on roids, big teeth too. Mean suckers.....eat good though. Like a leather covered superball, if it`s tender...

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 12:55:49 am)
    I don't know about New Jersey,but I have seen them bigger than that in western Texas. Sitting down they were over two feet tall not counting their ears.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

twins
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 2:35:11 am)
    Maybe someones pet turned loose?

timberbeast
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 2:51:49 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Re: Rabbit hunters of the world (an Texas)
    Don't have any Jack Rabbits around here, just cottontails and snowshoes (hares). A Jack Rabbit is a hare also. If any wild rabbit/hare goes 18 lbs., I'd be extremely surprised. They generally don't get enough rest to get fat, being as they are constantly chased by every predator which predates. I'd think if someone actually shot one that size, they'd take a picture. Hell, I'd take a picture of a Cottontail or Snowshoe if it pushed 5 lbs.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 9:46:36 am)
    LTS I heerd ya. Almost married somepin lak dat when I was stationed at Amarillo AFB ( in the propeller days)

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 10:23:37 am)
    Aaah, the propeller days, takes me back to my bennie cap with plastic propeller...I loved that hat...sob!

Now they got us wearing these dang tin foil hats.

GG

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 12:32:28 pm)
    GG It's good to see your feeling better. Yep in Texas we have a lot of low lands, farming acerage, especaiily rice and soybeans, lots of piny woods too. The infamious swamp rabbit has lots of foliage to eat which makes him weigh out like a Christmas turkey. LTS wasn't fibbin abit, on a long strech of rural texas roadways, during the night, swamp rabbits will stand in the middle of the roadway, kind a paralized by the headlights of an oncomming car. It's like running over a medium sized dog, if you hit one.
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/02 12:35:42 pm)
    Down here in my area, they are great fun to night hunt with spot lights (head lanterns) and .22's (I didn't say that) and they fetch $6.00 a head skinned at the fish market and the pelts draw $2.00 ea.

As far as the taste goes, there is nothing better than BBQ rabbit (domestic) but swamp rabbit is a little to gamey for my taste
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 2/6/02 12:37:29 pm

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 5:00:34 pm)
    Rabbits 6 bucks a pop at the FISH market? only in Texas........Where u go for fish?? he said innocently......

inplanotx
    (2/6/02 5:02:20 pm)

'Fore I became a 'Texican', use to hunt them big hop bunnies out in the desert of Ar'zona. It sure was fun watchin' em hide behind a creosote bush ('bout 2 1/2 ft tall). Only problem was their lil tin hat stood out above the bush. However, those bunnies sure could run. I know where the sayin "land rocket" came from. Almost couldn't catch em with a Jeep! I have no trouble believin an 18 pounder. Sure was a far cry from the snowshoes I used to hunt when in college on the UP in Michigan
    USMC 68-72 I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/02 5:15:43 pm)
    Almost forgot, this am at the coffee shop (read cafe texicans) the same ol dude tole me his buddy got one yesterday. Is N.J. being overrun by giant bunnies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.