The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,019 Posts
You can do, of course as you please. I would however, first call the local fish and game to see just how large the fine your going to receive will be.:rant: Poisoning an animal may be OK if it is a rat or a mouse. However I don't know about raccoon! If they are that bad why not just pick the dang feeder up for a short time.:cool: They will move on and you can start fresh after they are gone. Do not interpret my dislike of using poison for a liberal hiding here. I have jumped many a **** out of a tree and had **** dogs kill them on the ground.:eek: I have hunted for over 55 years and still do not like poison. To much collateral damage can and often does happen. But this is just one old mans opinion!

· Registered
741 Posts
You can do, of course as you please. I would however, first call the local fish and game to see just how large the fine your going to receive will be.:rant: Poisoning an animal may be OK if it is a rat or a mouse. However I don't know about raccoon! If they are that bad why not just pick the dang feeder up for a short time.:cool: They will move on and you can start fresh after they are gone. Do not interpret my dislike of using poison for a liberal hiding here. I have jumped many a **** out of a tree and had **** dogs kill them on the ground.:eek: I have hunted for over 55 years and still do not like poison. To much collateral damage can and often does happen. But this is just one old mans opinion!
+111111
I grew up **** huntin and really miss it. I don't like unnecessary killin!!! Granted **** are really smart but if there is no corn they will leave. I would also be worried like you bout the collateral damage, what else is eatin this????

· Registered
2,019 Posts
+111111
I grew up **** huntin and really miss it. I don't like unnecessary killin!!! Granted **** are really smart but if there is no corn they will leave. I would also be worried like you bout the collateral damage, what else is eatin this????
I was raised just across the Kansas state line in Osage county,Oklahoma. Love to listen to those dogs on a track. Still love the sound of hounds on a trail or up here bayed up on a bear. Don't hunt much any more with dogs as I just got too dang old to stay with the pups. Still get into the tree once in a while when some one I know has a bear or Cougar bushed. I used to guide professionally in Washington state for over 20 years. Seen my share of dead animals and live one's too. I will quit hunting completely when I fail to get excited when I listen to the pups or when I fail to get excited when a large buck/bull steps out. Doesn't really matter if I pull the trigger or not,just getting them in range is great!

· Registered
19,684 Posts
funny, I was looking at my feeder pics last night and my son said we should take something like vegitable oil or grease and put it on the feeder legs because the squirrels are getting up to the spinner plate.

the ***** out at my place are too fat to climb that high:D

· Registered
741 Posts
I was raised just across the Kansas state line in Osage county,Oklahoma. Love to listen to those dogs on a track. Still love the sound of hounds on a trail or up here bayed up on a bear. Don't hunt much any more with dogs as I just got too dang old to stay with the pups. Still get into the tree once in a while when some one I know has a bear or Cougar bushed. I used to guide professionally in Washington state for over 20 years. Seen my share of dead animals and live one's too. I will quit hunting completely when I fail to get excited when I listen to the pups or when I fail to get excited when a large buck/bull steps out. Doesn't really matter if I pull the trigger or not,just getting them in range is great!
Went to college in Winfield and lived in Ark City fer a bit.

funny, I was looking at my feeder pics last night and my son said we should take something like vegitable oil or grease and put it on the feeder legs because the squirrels are getting up to the spinner plate.

the ***** out at my place are too fat to climb that high
The squirrels would just figure out to jump up on top but that would be funny to watch till they figured it out.

Sounds like yer ***** already found the corn

· Registered
5,963 Posts
i heard if u take human hair and hang it out there that the squirrels will leave??????????
I'm not sure how human hair works with tree rats, but always have heard (never tried it) that human hair will keep deer away from the garden. Folklure, maybe, but deer dont like the smell of human sent, especially around a feeding/feeder area.

But as to the OP, in my experiance...once the **** have found your feeder, they dont like to leave (season after season).

I have a live trap that I have used for them set with bait off away from the feeder and once caught, load them up in the pickup and re-locate thier butts....several acres away on still, my own property.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
What I use. ***** are good to eat.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,801 Posts
I don't try to deal with the racoons any more. Until the deer made a hole where I put the "deer blocks" the racoons would try to drag the block off. They actually drug one about 15 feet till it got hung up in some brush. Now a new block sits down in the hole the deer made and the ***** have given up trying to drag it off. They seem to prefer the block to the plain corn in the feeder. They are getting fat so maybe I should try Carver's suggestion and cook one up. They have to be better than "sushi", yuck.

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
I don't try to deal with the racoons any more. Until the deer made a hole where I put the "deer blocks" the racoons would try to drag the block off. They actually drug one about 15 feet till it got hung up in some brush. Now a new block sits down in the hole the deer made and the ***** have given up trying to drag it off. They seem to prefer the block to the plain corn in the feeder. They are getting fat so maybe I should try Carver's suggestion and cook one up. They have to be better than "sushi", yuck.
Just a few recipes from cooks.com. http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,raccoon,FF.html

· Registered
741 Posts
Boil em till they are tender, bout 6 hrs. pull em outta the the still steamin hot water dump the pieces in seasoned flour and fry. yummmmmmmmmm. Dang it now I want **** and don't have any in the freezer:(

· Registered
5,963 Posts
As many as there are of those fur-bearin' critters, it wouldnt take long to fill up a frezzer!:D

· Registered
2,705 Posts
I'm going to get some lil griz traps(dogproof foot traps) and start trapping the suckers. I have 6 or more in a picture around my feeder. They are going for about $5 a piece now, so I can trap on the days when I am hunting and pay for my gas.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
When I was in my late teens we would skin the ****, leaving one front paw on it so there would be no doubt as to what it was. Sell the meat, and the hide. Hides don't bring what they used to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.